1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Multi Effect Bass Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by EamusCatuli, Oct 26, 2017.

1. EamusCatuli

EamusCatuli

Mar 18, 2009
    Chicago
    I'm now playing in a trio (indie with a little heavier edge, a la White Stripes) and the bass role is a lot more front and center than with four or more. I'd like to add some diversity. I have an overdrive pedal but that's obviously limited. I'd rather not create my own pedal board because I don't want to haul the thing around. I see Sam Ash has a Boss unit that looks interesting -- anyone have experience with this? Anyone have a better suggestion in a similar price point (~$200)?

Boss ME-20B Bass Multi-Effects Pedal | SamAsh

me_20b_top_gal.jpg

2. RickenCliff

RickenCliff

Aug 6, 2012
    St. Louis
    Pick yourself up a Zoom MS60b. Things a swiss army knife of effects, especially after the firmware update back in July. 120 or so effects, I want to say, give or take a few. Too many options to keep track of, should be more than enough to help you fill out your sound

Kustom_Thunder and Novarocker like this.
  3. EamusCatuli

EamusCatuli

Mar 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Did the firmware update solve this? (I found it on a Guitar Center review that was a little older.)

"Also know that the switching between sounds is very limited. You have to label them A,B,C etc. and it will follow that and loop around. If you use the same sequence of effects for every song that's perfect. But otherwise it's a pain. Say you just want to go Chorus, distortion, chorus on song one. It will toggle back and forth if Chorus is A and distortion is B. Perfect. But what if you have C, D, and E sounds that you need for the next song? Then your A and B won't loop - it will run right into C,D, and E. "

4. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    At this price range, I'D go with the zoom B3n (actually on my gas list)

Loring, FuzzFacetious and ChubbyJerk like this.
  5. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Boss GT 1b or Zoom B3n both at same price point.

6. blliB

blliB

Mar 5, 2017
    East
    I use a Digitech BP90. About 100$. 50 programmable & 50 factory set effects. You can use any of the 50 programmable slots to function as a single effect or a chain of effects. Not built like a tank, but let’s you play with hundreds of different effects combos for cheap. Has worked flawlessly for 6 plus months so far. Only drawback I’ve found, no looper

7. Zon master

Zon master

May 10, 2017
    If you get a chance to demo a unit that would be most helpful. As others have stated, the Boss GT-1B or the Zoom B3n at this price point are cool. Both units are an improvement over the previous models, though l'd lean towards the Boss. They are both good starting points for getting familiar with multifx units if you're new to them. You can also learn a lot from those specific multifx forums

8. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    These are hands down the two best at under $200 right now. Great sounds. Great interfaces. Good balance of size and live usability. I own both. Haven't decided which I'm keeping. Happy with them.

The MS60b is a nightmare in the programming and usability department, unfortunately. IMO. The DigiTech is also extremely lacking in those areas, relative to the B3n and GT-1b.

All imo, ymmv, etc.

Loring, Agosix and jimfist like this.
  9. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    That's where my vote goes. Love mine to death.

However, I truly recommend saving up a bit more and just get the Boss MS-3. Will be able to do anything you want include be your entire board, and if you decide to build a board in the future you're way ahead of the game. Oh and switching between patches (which is a semi nightmare on most other multi pedals) is easier than pie.

You'll thank me later if you didn't already know about this one. I'm debating swapping my whole board for one.

10. Digitech BP355 has worked like a tank for 4 years for me. Great sounds if you work on your own.

Roger de Flor likes this.
  11. I’m keeping both!

ppiluk and jimfist like this.
  12. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

Feb 5, 2014
    Barcelona
    +1 on Boss GT1-B or Zoom B3N

ppiluk likes this.
  13. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I have the Boss ME-50B, a somewhat more tricked-out version of the ME-20B. I think the ME-50B shines in ease-of-use, but I also think the newer Zoom units blow it out of the water for sound quality. Considering that the ME-20B doesn't appear to have the same ease-of-use as the ME-50B, I will go with the crowd and recommend checking out Zoom's offerings.

14. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    Don't waste your time, order zoom b3n

ppiluk and bassbrad like this.
  15. leonardvanh

leonardvanh

Nov 2, 2017
    is it possible to download GT1B patches onto the GT1 pedal?

16. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    You know, I never really knew exactly what this was. I always just thought it was an effects switcher. But it's actually got effects INSIDE of it too doesn't it?! Im reading the manual on it now to see more about it. It's kinda cool. Always wondered why these were so expensive.

Anyone here actually use one of these??

Novarocker likes this.
  17. EamusCatuli

EamusCatuli

Mar 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Based on feeback here and on demo videos, reviews, etc., I went with the Boss GT-1B. Purchased in-store at Guitar Center for $199 + $20 for a non-Boss power supply (Boss wants $35 for theirs). Side note: GC sells a generic power supply so keep that in mind when looking for power options -- GC didn't offer that over their 800 number when I called.

Will provide more feedback when I have some, however I did notice with some of the more "ethereal" effects that quick playing tends to clip short the output of the effect. I'm not sure how often I would use these effects (organ, angelic, anything with extra long reverb/echo, etc.) and if I do, I don't know that I'll play anything with fast, staccato rhythms, which seems to affect the efficacy of the effect (that's a mouthful). Also I would say around 30% of the effects have little discernible change to the bass's sound (certain amp effects, styles, some slap, etc.) -- it's a difference when immediately compared to the clean sound but it's subtle enough I'm not sure it's worth using. The remaining have a notable impact (heavy distortion, synth, funk, chorus).

One more note, I saw feedback saying there was not an option for clean playthrough. In fact there are two -- a clean patch, and using the tuner un-muted. The clean patch is truly clean, so that's the best option -- the tuner lights flash brightly while you're playing which would be distracting.

It's my first multi-effect pedal so this is a learning experience. I would love to see a tutorial video on how to program and move things around -- the manual is big and fairly technical, and I'll slog through it. But if there's something out there showing how to use this thing to it's best potential, I'd love to know.

Appreciate all the comments, folks.

Agosix likes this.
  18. 62878B56-E960-4691-88F2-3BB49ABE07EF.jpeg

I guess I have 360 effects lol

Agosix and Novarocker like this.
  19. No it isn’t. The products are basically identical except for the list of effects, amps and cabs. You would need to find a way to copy the bass firmware onto the guitar unit first.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021