Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Multi effect boards (Line 6 XT Live, BOSS GTB-6, Digitech BNX3)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Vosk, Jan 15, 2006.

1. hey guys,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on multi effect boards, these three in specific.

I was thinking about buying a new distortion, and then I thought, why don't I just wait another month or two and get a real FX board?

So, do they sound good? Nice replicas? Do you use them?

2. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    I would like more information on this topic as well. I have done a search, but more information would be helpful.

Ted

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Well, I have a guitar PODxt, the bean shaped unit not the floorboard. The effects in it are just dandy IMO (I used to be somewhat skeptical of digital FX/modelling.) They don't sound any better or worse than the stomp boxes I used to use (including a couple Electro Harmonix pedals and some Boss pedals.) I like the amp modelling better than the SansAmps I used to use as well, for what it's worth.

Though mine is a guitar unit and I play bass through it (using the tube preamp model. I had thought long and hard about the Bass POD but I don't need a million different bass amps, but I do need a million different guitar amps. ;) ), I'm sure the bass one sounds just as good.

I still would recommend trying before buying of course.

4. I can't speak for the bass PODxt, but also the guitar version. I personally do not like it. My band tried to use one in the studio as a distortion effect/amp model but it was too noisy, and one of the guys I jam with runs one through his Krank and it sucks the life out of a $2000 amp. It completely demolishes any kind of attack at the beginning of notes. The amp's distortion was about 100x better. As an effects unit and not a distortion/overdrive they sound okay.
    I've heard a guy use a Boss GT6-B live in a funk rock 3-piece and it sounded FANTASTIC. I couldn't believe he was using a multi-effects. He was playing a Stingray through it, and I don't remember his amp now, but the effects were awesome.

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I bought a Bass PodXT a few weeks ago and the $30 FBV2 foot switch (lets you walk up and down a bank of 4 presets). I have played for a few decades but never messed with effects much; I plan to use it as a preamp replacement and for recording.

I think the PodXT is very well made; good construction (if a weird shape). The software seems to work as it should. It comes setup with a lot of defaults for Amp/Cab simulations; most of them are decent but I'd guess I only found 4-8 of them that were different enough and useful enough to keep. Of the Effects, there is at least 1-2 of each type that is worth keeping around. I wasn't jazzed about the synth stuff but that's personal taste.

You have 64 locations to save presets in, which works out pretty well- 4-8 simulations with half a dozen different effects you can apply to each one, and change via footswitch. I don't think the stock setup is going to make anyone happy, but it's a good starting point to build your own presets. The LIVE version includes more foot controls and a box that sits on the floor; for me that wouldn't have made much different either way.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

7. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    Well, after doing some more research on line and taking a trip to Guitar Center today, I purchased the Boss GT-6B to replace a Digitech BP-8 as my main processor. In my opinion, the Line 6 PODxt Live and Boss GT-6B are fairly comparable. It's pretty much a toss up.

My main three deciding factors were:

1) The Boss GT-6B has more real-time knobs and buttons for quick, easy edits.
    2) The Boss GT-6B has balanced and unbalanced outputs.
    3) The Boss GT-6B has a digital out, which is usefule to me than a USB port.

With that said, the Line 6 PODxt Live is still a great unit. A person cannot go wrong with either.

One con of the Boss GT-6B that I must mention is that it does not have an input jack to connect a CD player, drum machine, metronome, etc.

Shockingly, the Digitech BP-8 holds up pretty well to the Boss GT-6B. I will continue to use it on occassion.

I hope this helps, Vosk!

Ted

8. I have the GT-6B. I've had it for about two years and played the poop out of it. Its really durable and reliable (like all boss pedals) so in that sense it's good. Now i used to think that multi effects boards were the way to go. But just lately i've been getting really frustrated. With multi effects boards everything has to be set up already... for example if my band is jamming or i wanna improvise with an effect...i have to have it set up already. I can't just say hey i want to throw in some delay and see how that sounds. with an idividual pedal its right in front of you so if you want more delay you just crank the knob. so it kinda stiffles creativity in that way.
    also by the pedal being right in front of you you may find you'll actually think of using that effect more so than if it was just trapped inside a computer.

It definetly gets some good sounds, but it has a lot of mediocre and bad (useless) ones too. The wahs on it in my opinion aren't very good. They don't maintain the bottom end of your sound. The distortions are good...but I'm kind of tone obsessed (its a curse) and i have heard better.

I tried out several different units (not the bass pod xt live though) and this one i found to be the best for me. Obviously you should try out a variety and see which you like best. Just take time making the decision and make sure multi effects is the way you want to go. I'm now starting to go back to the individual pedals...for me it just makes more sense; it's more user friendly, and i can find pedals and effects from various brands that i truely like. the main disadvantage is the cost though...individual pedals mean spending more $$

This is just my experience, every player has to do what is right for he/she so just make sure you try as many different options as you can.

9. I have the GT-6B. I've had it for about two years and played the poop out of it. Its really durable and reliable (like all boss pedals) so in that sense it's good. Now i used to think that multi effects boards were the way to go. But just lately i've been getting really frustrated. With multi effects boards everything has to be set up already... for example if my band is jamming or i wanna improvise with an effect...i have to have it set up already. I can't just say hey i want to throw in some delay and see how that sounds. with an idividual pedal its right in front of you so if you want more delay you just crank the knob. so it kinda stiffles creativity in that way.
    also by the pedal being right in front of you you may find you'll actually think of using that effect more so than if it was just trapped inside a computer.

It definetly gets some good sounds, but it has a lot of mediocre and bad (useless) ones too. The wahs on it in my opinion aren't very good. They don't maintain the bottom end of your sound. The distortions are good...but I'm kind of tone obsessed (its a curse) and i have heard better.

I tried out several different units (not the bass pod xt live though) and this one i found to be the best for me. Obviously you should try out a variety and see which you like best. Just take time making the decision and make sure multi effects is the way you want to go. I'm now starting to go back to the individual pedals...for me it just makes more sense; it's more user friendly, and i can find pedals and effects from various brands that i truely like. the main disadvantage is the cost though...individual pedals mean spending more $$

This is just my experience, every player has to do what is right for he/she so just make sure you try as many different options as you can.

hope that helps!!:) ...and sorry if it confused you:meh:

10. and i'm sorry that posted twice..i don't know what happened...my bad

11. Nice triple post :)

Well, I think in the end I will use only the following:

- Wah (I already own a 105Q)
    - Distortion (I have a ODB-3, but I'm looking to get an English Muff'n)
    - Flanger (I'll probably pickup a BF2 one day)
    - Reverb/Delay (Undecided as to whether I would use these)

Knowing that, would you recommend going MFX or single pedal? It will cost me probably $500USD+ for me to get those pedals, or $400 to get a Multi effect board.

12. Knowing that i would go single pedals man...you already have a decent start. I used to own the odb-3 and even the model of the odb-3 that the GT-6b contains doesn't sound exactly like the odb-3. My guitarist owned the gt-3 (guitar version - but older) and sad the same thing...the distortions didn't sound the same as the individual pedals...he's since gone the individual pedal route. The 105q smokes the boss wah so don't loose that thing. Also another point i thought of was that different rooms and stages yield different accoustics...so if your distortion is too bassy...its alot easier to just turn a knob down on a single pedal than to have to go through menus and such...and think a pedal board is another way of being creative. all in all if you want the best sounding effects go with individual pedals..but if you want lots for cheap go multieffects. my vote is for indie pedals though...but who am i? lol

13. Guys - I'm in a similar fix - Boss Me 50b or pay out a few more quid for a Line 6 PODxt Live??? I really want an octaver - what do you reckon?

14. It sounds like all the things that you hate about the BOSS GT-6B would be solved with the BOSS ME-50B.

I hardly use any patches or banks,... I use it as 3 different FXs pedals depending on the music and I can tweak things on the fly as I go. I set things up pretty much flat and tweak from there,... if the room is a little boomy, I just reach down and twist a knob. If I'm jamming away a I feel like putting on a flanger, I just reach down and twist a knob.

I think the sound quality is good. If I was doing high end studio work I would try to record two channels, one clean direct from the bass and one from the out put of the ME-50B,... but in saying that sometimes the ME-50B is just what the sound engineer wants, to add a touch of overdrive to the clear and delicate Ken Smith sound, give it some rock bass balls.

I love the plug in and play of one unit and I feel confident that I can get my sound if I'm using someone elses amp. I also love the fact that I can add a touch of compression to my bass, add a little bottom end and then plug into a DI for live sound.

I'd suggest you check out the BOSS ME-50B if you're toying with the idea of multi FXs or individual pedals - it can be as simple or as complicated as you want.

E-mail me for some ME-50B tracks that I recorded on the computer.

Benner
    ben@legg.com

15. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    In my opinion, either a multi-effect pedalboard or single pedals can handle the job. It depends on whether or not you wish to program and save patches for quick access or perform lots of edits on the fly.

Ted

16. I think I'll try an ME-50B, and get back to you guys.

17. kenlacam

kenlacam

Nov 8, 2005
    akron, ohio
    I own a Behringer Bass V-amp, for about 2 weeks now. It suddenly didn't come on one day. I'm taking it back, and am never going to buy another digital pedal. I also owned a Zoom bass pedal. These things are crap! If I do ever buy another pedal, it's going to be an analog pedal, none of those digital pieces of crap!

18. vtbassman

vtbassman

May 9, 2005
    It took me a while to really get a good sound through our bands PA with my Podxt live. I play direct out of the podxt live into the mixing board (my guitarist uses a live too). I have found the best way is to set up each preset with just the amp it is modeling, scrap the line6 presets. Turn off all effects, verbs, eq's, cabinet simulators, compressors, etc... Start with just the basic and add from there. Tweek your patches through the PA or amp you will be using. Head phones are useless.

19. Guys - this is really great stuff. I've just sold a Boss GX-700 - that was great, but I want floor effects and the ability to go an octave when required. It seems from here that the Line 6 Bass PODxt Live and the Boss ME 50b are pretty close.

However, here in the UK the price isn't. Around £100 sterling difference between the two - that is the Line 6 is the more expensive. Now this could be the decider. I have the money - but which one do I go for?

20. Brocko777

Brocko777

Jan 1, 2006
    A/B the ones you are checking out and make the call from that. The thing with any multi pedals is their so many options nad sounds... dialing in the 'one' will take some time. I've got the GT-6B I love it. But read the manual! I am still reading it I've had the pedal for 3 weeks and I always look back to the manual for tweakin suggestions. As for cab and speaker sounds, they are called SIMULATORS, simulate, make sound like.... not a exact copy. They are not exact but sound pretty damn good. Find the ones that are in your budget, A/B 'em then drop your $$$ and start jamming.
    Peace
    Brocko