1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Multi-effect 'pedal' for my needs?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Solude, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    I tend to only need/use a compressor, drive, amp and cab pedal/sim when I play. The output is going to my interface and out of my monitors.

Gun to your head, sub $600USD, which multi-effect or straight effect pedals that fall under the price limit would you go with?

Line 6 HX Stomp
    Zoom B3n
    Boss GT-1B

Nunovsky likes this.
  2. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Besides the functions you listed and the budget you've set, what other preferences would sway your decision?

I have your same needs and I narrowed it down to the HX Stomp based on form factor as well as interface.

RobertUI and CharlieC like this.
  3. Mod7

Mod7

Sep 17, 2018
    France
    TC Electronics Spectradrive seems nice: it gives you comp, drive and EQ but I havn't tried it myself.
    I own a Zoom B3 and it's a nice gear to have. The problem is that when I plug it in my computer with USB, the Zoom becomes also the output device (so you have to plug the monitors in it...) Check the B3n manual if it does the same or if you could change this.

wmmj likes this.
  4. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    That it not have a huge floor footprint would be a benefit. Balanced out so I can use the balanced inputs that have a much larger gain range than the instrument inputs on the RME. Aside from that running parallel drive pedals to simulate a clean, dirty, really dirty blend.

5. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    If the comp and amp/cab sims would be always on, with the drive being switchable - you could get a ton of mileage from the Zoom MS-60b at under $100.

sillyfabe, RobertUI and wmmj like this.
  6. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Does it stand up to the B3n sound wise? Editor?

7. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Don't know - head to www.zoom.co.jp and check it out. Pretty sure the 60b is a previous generation so doesn't work with GuitarLab - but others might know better.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The zoom b3n or the boss gt-1b would be a good choice for your needs.

ppiluk likes this.
  9. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    You can change this on your PC settings, so the B3 is used as the input device and another device of your choice is used as the output (on Windows at least).

Mod7 and Bassist4Eris like this.
  10. Mod7

Mod7

Sep 17, 2018
    France
    Thanks for tip :thumbsup:

Zoom has affordable and nice gears, good but not the best, so B3n seems to be a good choice.

JACink likes this.
  11. Havard Ramses

Havard Ramses

Oct 29, 2014
    Oslo
    Fly rig
    GK plex
    Ampeg or MXR

12. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    I'd say for your requirements and still just within the budget Line6 HX Stomp would be your best bet for a multi effect that does it all and does it really well.

13. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    It takes work to get great tone, and the footprint is large, but the line 6 hd500x is a very capable and nice sounding processor. Can be had for little $$$ currently.

14. The Rage

The Rage

Nov 12, 2013
    IMHO if you don't need parallel chains processing and/or complex routing options Zoom b3N sounds really great.
    If you need all of the above, go with the helix.

Haroldo likes this.
  15. Havard Ramses

Havard Ramses

Oct 29, 2014
    Oslo
    But I don't get it. If you only plan to use compressor and drive, why you need multieffect

GBBSbassist likes this.
  16. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    It’s probably just in my heard, but I l like the zoom b1on. I have a 60b and have had a b3. To me the b1on is just better sounding.
    Edit
    I use mine as a practice tool. It has the usb hooked up all the time so if I want a patch it’s a keyboard input thing, not a bend under my desk thing. Can’t tell you how nice that is...,

17. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    +amp sim +cab sim

Neither seems to be available outside of a multi effect unless you want a pedal for every amp sim or a generic non specific cab pedal. And even then the total cost and floor space is higher if you want several options.

That said, the multi effect pedals might not have good VCA compressors making this a fool's errand. Reason being that since I run into an interface I have to crunch the initial attack spike to bring the dynamic range into that of the input.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Havard Ramses likes this.
  18. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    Uhm, it's the exact same effects using the same basic modeling technology both in the B1on, 60B and B3, only difference is the physical interface and that there since has come an upgrade with more effects to the 60B, but still using the same modeling technology.

B3n though is a step up both in technology used to make the effects and processor power, but still not on the level of Line6's Helix line.

19. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    At a third of the price I think we can agree that it shouldn't be ;)

20. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I would look at a Tech 21 Sansamp Character series and maybe an additional compressor, although those pedals already give some compression as part of the amp Sim. The output is highly variable and there's no digital lag.