1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Multi-effect to replace a few pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vlad_drac, Aug 20, 2020.

1. vlad_drac

vlad_drac

May 3, 2017
    Jersey
    Hello TB effect aficionados!

I'm looking to see what's available these days that people seem to enjoy in the multi-effect/digital world. I'm looking to take some pedals off my board, and give me some other effects to play with when I feel like noodling with my setup.

The two effects that I'm not looking to replace are my compressor and preamp. The Diamond Bass Comp Jr and Tech 21 VT Bass DI are my always-on effects, and I have no interest in toying with those for the foreseeable future.

* The multi-effect will ideally give me an octave down, fuzz w/ clean blend, filter, and modulation options.
    * Needs to fit on a PT Jr.
    * Multi switches so store presets in. Want to avoid having to kneel down to switch presets.

Squared off the ones below that I'd like remove.

pedalboard_01.png

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    ZOIA.

3. Line6 HX Stomp with an aux switch. It will cover all of your requirements and probably still leave room for 1 more pedal. The only downside is that it requires a lot of power, and the power supply it comes with is a weird size.

4. vlad_drac

vlad_drac

May 3, 2017
    Jersey
    It looks like it would! But 3amp power requirement on 9v? Was really hoping my CS12 would be able to power the unit with a current doubter if necessary. Don't think I can daisy chain 6 of these together :laugh:

5. The HX Stomp doesn't actually draw 3A the whole time, it only needs about 1A to boot up and draws that much if it is using more demanding sounds like reverbs or amp models.

I use a current doubler on 2x500mA ports on my Strymon Zuma and it works just fine.

6. vlad_drac

vlad_drac

May 3, 2017
    Jersey
    Gotcha. I had looked up a bit after that ppost and saw people powering with a CS6... so I feel a bit better about the power situation. What cable(s) do you use for the change from 2.1mm to 2.5mm?

7. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    I LOVE my Line6 HX Stomp - but another option that you might consider is the Boss MS-3 - it's a multieffects unit and pedal loop switcher, which is pretty cool. BOSS - MS-3 | Multi Effects Switcher

jasonmitsch likes this.
  8. I use cables, and I am embarrassed. I bought the wrong cables through Strymon twice. The wrong cables are compatible so I am just using them to avoid shipping charges lol.

I use 2 current doublers into 2.1">2.5" cables, then polarity reversal cables for my HX Stomp and HX Effects.

vlad_drac likes this.
  9. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    After going through several pedals, I've settled on the zoom B3 multi effect pedal for myself. I'm able to create all the sounds that I need and haven't touched the majority of the effects that the pedal offers. I also like that it is a amp simulator also and then I don't have to bring my own app and can directly DI to the PA.
    Good luck on your search!

DrMole, vlad_drac and Guild B301 like this.
  10. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    vlad_drac likes this.
  11. vlad_drac

vlad_drac

May 3, 2017
    Jersey
    Thanks, everyone. Appreciate the info! I think I'm gonna try the HX Stomp first and go from there. Worst case scenario, it gets reurned.

jasonmitsch likes this.
  12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Future Impact or C4 would go a long way. Only short fall is modulation.

B3 mentioned above is what I ran live for a long time. A guy could do worse.

13. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Easy, cheap answer is a Zoom MS60B. Amp sims, cab sims, really nice comp sims, plus a bunch more. Only drawback is no DI.

jasonmitsch likes this.
  14. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    I'm liking Boss GT-1b very much. It has all the options you wanted and would leave space on your board.
    Reasons I bough it: can be used as external sound card (recording interface), has great PC Windows software, can be used with batteries (200mA draw), has expression pedal with switch. I also like bypass tone.
    It sounds pretty good to me, tracking with P bass is good. I am into synth sounds and made some very usable for live, combining fuzz, env and chorus or tremolo. Cool thing, expression can be assigned to any parameter, so I can manualy develop tremolo, sounds great.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021