1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Multi-Effect Unit for Recording and Live - new Lexicons?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Colonel Monk, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Howdy all

Been using some built-in reverbs on mixing board for rehearsals and all, and though the reverbs are OK the delays aren't adjustable and you can't really do both at the same time.

Though I'd love to have one of each Lexicon PCM 60, 70, 80 we can't afford it.

But I'm interested in hearing your opinions on some of the new Lexicons.

I figure that if anyone can do a decent tribute to those legendary FX it's Lexicon.

Thinking about the

Lexicon MX200

Lexicon MX300

Lexicon MX400

Lexicon MX400XL

I'm drawn to the 200 for obvious $$$ reasons, but please, your opinions.

They all have the added bonus of offboard VST processing - now this is not stuff I do, but my writing partner will be utilizing that with ProTools.

Thanks,

Colonel Monk

2. I only have experience with the MX200, and though it's a great unit with really nice sounding Reverbs, the User Interface is a total nightmare, editing effects is done by ear because you don't have a display to see what values are changing.

The routing settings are another nightmare not the very user friendly and you have to know what you're doing in order to get the most out of the unit.

3. Thanks alot. I'll have to look into the other two, they seem to have more display so maybe it solves that problem.

CM

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    MX300 is nice. I have one. I was using a lower cost PC and it allowed me to offload the reverb from the PC to the MX300.

Using S/PDIF you can wire it in as a VST effect in your DAW software. A USB cable is used to control the interface. S/PDIF for the actually audio. You need both. Then in your daw you just use it like another VST effect.

It's a good VST interface. You can keep the tails so it switches very naturally. The I/O is digital so it has incredible sound.

For standalone.
    It has a PC preset editor you can create and save new presets on the unit.
    The display does show the values as you dial them in. You can upload from the mx300 to the PC to save presets in a file.

I have a better PC now, but still it's handy to have in a rack to use with a regular mixer at times.

5. Don't rule out Alesis multi-fx units they're pretty good. A couple that I've worked with in the past are the MidiVerb and QuadraVerb.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    BTW the MX300 also has a tap tempo via foot switch to sync the echos and sweeps to real tempos.

7. John Burgess

John Burgess

Nov 28, 2011
    Australia
    I have a Lexicon PCM92. Its basically the same as the top of the range PCM96 model without the firewire capability . Lexicon made a giant hash of the firewire interface on the PCM models, so just do a thorough search to make sure there are no issues with the USB interface.

Also search for Lexicons history with software/driver support on the MX models. If you have trouble getting the VST plugin to work, you may find yourself high and dry waiting for software updates.

You can find ex demo or second hand PCM92 models in the $1200 - 1400 range. It may seem like a lot for a reverb unit, but its comparable to a $4k - 5k Bricasti, and will suffice your live and studio needs.

Theres many algorithms and processor configurations on the PCM unit, and you can model extremely small or large spaces, the parameters are all adjustable. You can fiddle with this thing forever, Im sure it will do everything you need.

The other option is you can buy the software versions of the PCM algorithms, and just use them as plugins on your DAW, but I dont think theyre suitable for live use as you will always have latency. The hardware rack units work in realtime because they have dedicated hardware architecture.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I read the Lexicon software plugs have 32 samples of latency. that's not even 1ms at CD rates. That would be outstanding for live use. YMMV

9. John Burgess

John Burgess

Nov 28, 2011
    Australia
    That doesnt take into account the interface latency though?

I suppose it wouldnt matter too much if you treated the software purely as a wet signal processor, then the latency would become part of the predelay of the reverb.

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Are you getting any more than a 1ms of interface latency?
    Latency Test - Audacity Manual
    I bet it's down in the microseconds

Not much of a "Free" pre-delay :D

11. John Burgess

John Burgess

Nov 28, 2011
    Australia
    Havent tested onboard sound but my firewire gets around 19ms stable buffer, under 10ms if you set the buffer to 96 or 128 samples.

12. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    TC M1 is also a good & cheap choice as far as Multi-FX