1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Multi Effects Board.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thomas Moonan, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Thomas Moonan

Thomas Moonan

Feb 19, 2018
    Hullo!

I am looking for recommendations for a multi fx board specific to bass. I play covers at weddings and like to have effects on tap.
    I currently use a Boss GT6B with an Eden preamp. We don't use any backline cabs.
    I have tried the Line 6 POD X3 Live but whilst it gave a cracking sound for my purposes, I found it too guitar based and the synths were poor.

Any advice and suggestions welcomed.

Tommy

2. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    A pair of Eventide H9's. One Max, one Core...that should cover 99.999% of your needs and then some.

Basehead likes this.
  3. Thomas Moonan

Thomas Moonan

Feb 19, 2018
    As wonderful as that sounds, I am really after a self- contained unit that requires minimal cabling and set up time.

4. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Cheapo solution would be a zoom b3. They do a lot and take no setup time.

krfoss, neuman, matty1039 and 2 others like this.
  5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    How about stepping up to a Line 6 Helix, Helix LT, and Fractal AX8?

If not, there's also the new Line 6 HX which is just effects and no amps or cab sims like the above units.

Guest of Honor and scuzzy like this.
  6. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    That's why people put them on a board. Cable in, cable out...plus power, very easy once set up.

LowActionHero likes this.
  7. Thomas Moonan

Thomas Moonan

Feb 19, 2018
    I've had a good look at the Helix and it seems to be as guitar focussed as the X3 series.
    The preamps in it are wonderful but the effects don't all translate to bass very well.

Mili likes this.
  8. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm not aware of any manufacturers who are offering bass-specific multi-effects other than Boss (GT-1B) and Zoom (B3n), both of which are tidy little pieces of gear on the low-budget side of things. Whether either of these will cover all of your needs is the question. Both are capable pieces IMO.

If neither of those float your boat, then the higher-priced multi-effects are generally guitar-based units with a sprinkling of bass-specific features at best. Line 6 Helix/Helix LT/HX Effects, Boss GT-1000, Fractal AX8/FX8. This is the state of affairs, unfortunately, for bass-specific multi-effects.

Your best bet may be to get a programmable multi-fx that has an fx loop or two, and augment their weaknesses for bass items (usually envelopes/filters, wah, synths and pitch shifters, among other things) with a couple other individual pedals that are designed for bass. The Boss MS-3 Loop selector/multi-fx, augmented with a few really good bass pedals, would cover a lot of ground.

9. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Please let my express a different opinion. I use their M5 pedal (which is a generation behind the Helix), and most opf the effects works very well with bass (Enveloppe Follower, Chorus, Delay, Octaver). I do the same gigs as you (Wedding, Corporate events) and it works very well for me. It is not because it is not labeled Bass that it won't work (If fact, the Helix is aimed at any musician, Guitar, Bass, Keyboards, etc).

Also check this thread, it seems that the Helix FX works very well with bass
    Line 6 HX Effects

Bass dedicated unit, OTOH, seems to only exist at the entry level: (Zoom B3n, Boss GT-1B, Digitech BP-355 and so on)

Guest of Honor likes this.
  10. Thomas Moonan

Thomas Moonan

Feb 19, 2018

I tried the Helix out in a guitar shop and it wasn't for me.

11. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    The Helix has almost as many bass specific amp models as the B3n, if I'm remembering right. Definitely enough for most people. And it has a ton of features that help it work great for bass. Global EQ, hi/low cut, parallel paths, and so on.

Having used both, it's just as good for bass-specific processing as the B3n. And it offers a whole lot more. It's just a question of how much you want to spend and how much the extra features matter to you.

I've landed on the HX at the moment. No amp models, but EQ into IR will get the job done. It's hitting my preferred balance of size and number of switches and flexibility and power. It's great.

The B3n is great. But I hate it's interface.

12. Thomas Moonan

Thomas Moonan

Feb 19, 2018
    Maybe I need to spend more time with the Helix then. Much obliged

13. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    If you tried it out in store, there are a couple factors to keep in mind. First, the firmware version may have been out of date. Things like the B7K ultra model and a bunch of bass amps were added after factory release. Second, what were you playing through? Playing through an amp and cab model then through an amp and cab might not sound quite right.

If it isn't for you, that's cool. B3n or GT1b are fine options. Significantly cheaper. Not as good, in my opinion, but quality.

Of the ones I've used for bass, in my opinion, if $ were not an issue, I'd personally (imo) say Helix > HX > B3n > GT1b. That takes into account things like the interface, number of switches, ease of use, added features like USB audio interface, continued support and patches, etc...the whole package.

There are others I've used, but those are my favorites for each price bracket.

14. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I got the Line 6 HX last week. It's friggen amazing. Seriously.

15. Thomas Moonan

Thomas Moonan

Feb 19, 2018
    I'll probably grab a Helix and do the firmware update and give it a good run.

You guys are awesome. Much obliged for the help.

16. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    ok.. bass multi.. are the boss or zoom or the kemper 2 part system but insane or fractal like it or not that's the major of what you are looking at.

17. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Maybe not helpful, but another data point can't hurt.

I purchased a Line6 M13 to use for electric guitar and recently started using it for bass. Yes, some of the effects don't translate well to bass. But I mostly use it for the onboard tuner,compression, EQ, and some chorus/flange, reverb, and delay effects, which all work really well. The weakest part of the M13 for both bass and electric guitar are the low-gain distortions. They aren't great, but I rarely use them for bass.

All that said, the M13 works perfectly well for what you're wanting. If the newer Line6 stuff is even slightly better, then it'll work just fine.

18. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Are you looking for specific effects? Or merely something that can do everything?

If you're looking for a handful of specific effects, you should check out a custom Six Speed from Henretta Engineering... they sound killer, all-analog, true bypass, simple with a one-button on/off for each effect (other adjustments can be made inside). Kevin Henretta is a heckuva good guy and is great to work with. Check out my gear review.

Thomas Moonan likes this.
  19. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Raleigh
    I don't play well.
    I picked up the GT-1B recently and I think it's actually quite good. There are many useable effects in it, particularly if you hook it up to your computer and actually modify the effects/chains to taste. I also manages to run pretty respectably on just the AA batteries. For rehearsals, I don't even bring a power supply, I just use a set a rechargeable NiMH batteries.

20. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I had a couple of Boss multieffects (ME-50B, Gt-6B) and considered getting a GT-10B, but came across TC Nova system, which go for about $175 used.

They aren’t as easy to use as some (and downright weird in some ways) but... OHMY GOD DOES IT SOUND AMAZING! No cheapo crappy tones, tone suck or garbage sounds).

There are a few bass demoes of the Nova system on YouTube, worth checking out. I almost took the plunge but decided to stay with seaparate pedals.

Just a road less traveled.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021