Multi Effects Headache

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman2112, May 18, 2005.

1. HI peeps

Can anyone suggest the most cost effective way of creating distortion (or overdrive), delay AND a flange/phaser sound which can be switched in and out of a song (similar to a guitarists solo boost) during a live situation.

Most multi-effects units i have seen will not allow delay and phaser to be used at the same time.

Please help, this is driving me MENTAL

2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Select one of the following:

- buy individual effects units (ultimate control... but more hassle and cost)
    - buy an expensive effects processor, which will allow you to choose and order a selection of effects into each patch
    - use a cheaper multifx and supplement it with one or more additional pedals (for example, I've got a Zoom 505II and a Line6 DL-4, so I could get somewhere towards what you're describing)
    - rework your approach to the song using the pallette of effects you currently have available.

Anything's possible... given enough money and time ;)

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Delays and phasers are very different.
    Most multis I know will allow both.
    All Korg units, to start with.
  4. boss doesnt allow it. I used to have a ME50b and I also freaked at that... sold it soon after (not just because of that) and started buying all separate pedals.

Good luck bud.
    ps.:(much happier now with separate pedals.)
  5. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I think the Line6 Bass PODxt ($300) can do this:
    * Distortion in the "stomp" section POD
    * Flanger in the "modulation" section POD
    * Delay in the "delay" section on the POD

I don't have my PODxt handy, but a quick look at the above in the on-line user's manual suggests I'm right.

If you really want to be sure, you might want to join the Line6 forum at

Check the "Bass POD" group, which is for both Bass POD and Bass PODxt questions.

I highly endorse the Bass PODxt, but it is rather high-end technically speaking - you'll need to spend time learning the unit, and it's "high fidelity" nature may expose weakness/coloration in your amp (preamp, actually).
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Digitech BP80 and 200 can do it.
    Heck, even Zoom effects(from 506 to 708) allow it.
    I guess Boss is the bad student here ?
  7. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    These units can do a) distortion, b) flanger and c) delay all at the same time?
  8. not all boss. my Boss GT6B allows phaser/flanger, OD and delay at the same. it also "allows" for ex.: phaser and chorus, but you can only switch one of them by foot. I think it doesn't allow delay and looping together.
  9. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    If you're thinking about the Bass POD, check out the new Bass PODxt Live. It's still not listed on the Line 6 site, and no news about when it will be available.
  10. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    For the BP200 you can make your own effects.
  11. Thanks for the help guys. I considered a BP200 but I haven't read any decent reviews on them and I cant see how you can switch from one sound to another mid song without scrolling through the menu.

Has anyone had experience with the Rocktron Xpression unit?

Thanks again
  12. dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    I have a BP200 and all I do is program the two or more effects next to each other in the user banks at 1-40. Tap the pedal... voila!
  13. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    Decent reviews, there are plenty, but you won't find any good ones... I have one, and while I don't particularly like it, it was great for me getting into effects ( and realizing I don't really need them much)... I still use it now, over a year later rigged up so I can take it out of my effects loop because it doesn't have bypass. As far as finding presets, put them next to each other, problem solved. It is far better than any other multi-effect in its price range though...
  14. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    To bypass, press both of the buttons at the same time. :)
  15. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Better still, try it first before you drop coin into this.

Much as I love effects, I am very minimalistic in their use. I could not see using this configutaion on a regular enough basis to have a delay unit AND a phaser.

On Freewill by Rush, the guitar is through a distrtion effect and then a moderate delay (chorus) . During the solo, Alex adds a shorter delay (flanger) with phasing.
  16. timinator

May 8, 2005
    I looked into a guitar dude's effects mess and the coolest thing he had was a Boss LS-2 (I think). It's supposed to let you turn on/off different loops in different combos and you can also set the levels. I'm not heavy into effects, but this pedal will definately take the headache out of using them for me. I just need to get off my duff and go try one in a shop. You can probably sneek a look at one if you go to the Ibanez site and look at the review of the DWB-3; this pedal is also on that page. Harmony Central has info, too.

Got a Zoom 506ii new for $50, by the way, and it's turning out to be really useful and fun to tweak on. I've already noted a couple of times at a show that I want that Boss pedal, though. I could use or lose the 506 more easily and also get my rackmount Digitech S-100 worked into a few things. Good Luck!
  17. Hi Guys

Thanks to everyone for their advice, much appreciated.

I'm still confused :confused: as to what to get, but at least the warden's have let me have my sharp pencils back now.

Ian :D
  18. Derakh Djinn

Derakh Djinn

May 23, 2005
    I'm a proud GT6B user, everything I could think of ever needing is in this unit and it sounds amazing once you turn off all the default EQ, pickup, and cab selection junk and run through the effects loop...