multi effects = multi frustrations

Discussion in 'Barker Bass Forum' started by Scwwitt, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Scwwitt

Nov 2, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I have yet to find a multi effect processor that meets up to my expectations in sound and ease of use. I have tried multi effets from a few different companys (Zoom, Korg, Boss) i have been dissapointed with all of them. I mean if I find one that has good quality sound I find it very had to change effects on the fly (in other words its not a floorboard). and if I find one that is a floor board it always seems that the sound quality of the effects is not very good. I have been in seach of a multi effects floorboard that has good effect sound quality and is easy to use with any bass. whether it be a barker upright or a bass guitar. this has been a very frusterating point for me if anyone has any product suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. I am begginging to think that muti effects are a waste of money, and i need to build myself a pedal platform and buy individual pedals. please help!!
  2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Have you tried a Boss VF-1 with a MIDI floor board? I just picked one up from a fellow TBer for about $200 plus a Behringer MIDI controller for $149. Pretty good combo. For some reason this unit is a LOT quieter and sounds better than the others I've tried (Boss GT-6B, Line 6 Pod)
  3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Any of the quality multi-fx units are going to need tweaking to get them were your happy with them. Remember, presets are just a starting point and nothing more.

I use an old ART Nightbass SE w/X-15 midi foot controller and love it. A lot of people say it sounds like crap (for distortion), it is too noisy, blah, blah, blah... :rollno:

Well guess what? It is just like anything else. You have to learn to use it! It is a tool and all tools must be used correctly to get top performance.

I admit at first I was a little apprehensive about trying to program it. It has knobs and buttons everywhere, oh no! :eek: :help: After I read the manual and did if a few times, it is so easy my 11yo can do it. Plus, the better units (Nightbass and POD) can be edited in real time from a PC. Real time meaning as you change a parameter and you will hear the change instantly. It also allows you to create new patches, save them, and reorganize their order which is great for live gigs :bassist:

Before giving up on any multi-fx unit, try to learn what it can and cannot do. Take the time to really learn how it works. If you can't take the time then multis are not for you. Sorry.

BTW Scwwitt, why did you post this in the Barker Bass forum and not Effects? :eyebrow:
  4. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    i have used TONS of effects...

botique pedals

rack units

multi effects...

right now i am thouroughly enjoying my DIGITECH gnx4 a GUITAR processor none the less

i use it as a pre amp AND effects

i also have a pedal pad brand pedal board currently covered in gadgets from morley, pigtronix, digitech, and electro harmonix

i used to use 13 botique effects pedals at gigs

and the advice is correct from other users

you really have to dig into each device individually to "GET IT"

my digitech gnx4 really kicked my butt at first

and i would not say i KNOW the thing yet either

but my band sure appreciates the simplicity of set up and load in when i use it compared to a rack full of pre amps and a 200 lbs pedal board

so its worth its weight no pun intended...
  5. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    FWIW: I have gone back and forth about 3 times. I am going back to individual pedals and staying there.

I have tried every multi effect there is. Yes I did learn to use them, but I still don't likee them. I prefer individual pedals.
  6. You may find out in the end that having no effects is the best way to go. I went through the same frustrations as you, with multi-effects pedal boards and individual effects and not being satisfied with the sound and ability to tweak it on the fly. It always seemed that the effects sucked away some of the the fundamental fullness of the bass, resulting in a thinner and less satisfying sound.

In the end I just ended up selling off all my effects pedals, and maximizing the tone of my bass through proper setup, good technique, and decent gear.