multi effects or one-one units?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Serac, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Serac

May 29, 2005
    I was browsing effects today EFFECTS&d=tp

when I came upon this:

question, is it good?

Also, it got me thinking about this: Is it better to have one master effects unit with all sorts or effects that come in one-on-one packages? This is how I see it:

Multi-effects units are cheaper, and more of a bargain, though they can do more stuff, they are ok at everything and not extremely good at any one effect.

Single-effects units will cost more to collect, but they are less confusing if they only serve one function, and they are better at what they do because they only have one job...

So, I'm probably just going to go with a multi-effects unit.. since it's cheaper and I want to know what all the effects sound like.. which brings me to my next question.

And also, I know basses sound wierd with regular electric guitar effects, like wah-wah pedal. But the special effects units that say *specifacally for bass!* I'm wondering if they actually are not just elec guitar effects, but make GOOD, UNIQUE sounds that can only sound good with the bass, and sound like crap on the elec guitar, like the opposite of conventional effects?
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Stick away from multi-effects. I have one, and it was cool at first to get used to effects, but having single effects is much better. You don't have to fumble through settings, it's just a lot less of a hassle. It may cost more, but it's much better in the long run.
  3. i dunno if i agree with that exactly. i will agree with petary when talking about the digitech multifx box. the low end multieffect boxes are pretty useless except to only give you a taste of several, imo, the higher end processers are awesome. i am talking lexicon, tc electronic, evantide, etc...i think those are just as worth the money as single pedals are.
    if you ask me, i think there are just as many pros and cons to each, and it all comes down to what fits your song.
  4. hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    if you begin with effects, the best choice is to buy a cheap multi-effect , just take care of the converters analogic/digital and vice-versa, the strict minimum nowadays is 16bits for 44,1khz (it's the digital quality of any cd) , but be carefull, petary and Superbassman are right about digitech multi processors, they have the best converters for the price (24bit for 44,1khz) but this is not the only thing to take in consideration when buying a multi effects processor, the second point that is very subjective is the DSP (digital signal processing) in other words, this is the way the processor simulates each effect it reproduces and digitech are not the best, neither boss, in my opinion, korg is way better, yamaha is not bad but stay away from zoom because the converters of the zoom 506 bass i have are only 16bit for 32khz, even with a good DSP it's impossible to have quality effects, and the new zoom multi effects are the same from what i know. In fact, fifteen years ago when i was new to bass and effects it was a good choice like you say to know what effects are important for my sound, but now that i have ten stompboxes i can't put the zoom 506 in my setup cause it destroy the quality of the overall sound, hope this help you. About high-end multi effect i disagree with superbassman, just take the tc electronics g-force, of course you can routing the effects the way you want but for the price (over 1500euros/$$) you can have ten stompboxes each costing 150$, and the tc is just a processor, if you have problem with it, you've lost 1500$, with the stompboxes, at this time say one or two die (150/300$ off). Where i agree with you superbassman, is that with multi effects you can save patches, thing impossible with stompboxes, and that's my problem as i need an octaver and a flanger/chorus/phaser, i hesitate between two stompboxes or buying a medium priced multi effect that would give me the equivalent of these two pedals and the flexibility of having patches/programs, but a good multi effect not too large to fit in my setup is hard to find, i was thinking of the korg ax1500g but it's too large, so i hesitate. Any advice is welcome.
  5. well, you've got a good point. i guess it all depends on the music. imo, if you have songs that require many effects per song and the settings are different, i would go with the multiFX kit. otherwise, if you just want a good distortion and a good compressor, etc, then go for pedals...

6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I used to have a couple cheap pedals. Got fed up, bought Lexicon MPX G2 (there may have been more letters I forget) with all the bells and whistles. Had it for a week. Now I have a mix of moderately priced pedals, expensive pedals, and antique rackmount effects. Many knobs > 1 display + a few buttons. And if the battery dies in a pedal it doesn't forget the effect I had dialed in.
  7. Serac

May 29, 2005
    Questions, what exactly is a stomp box, and is that multieffects unit I posted in my first post decent at least?
  8. a stompbox is another name for a single effect pedal...and don't expect anything great out of that multiFX box you posted in the first post. it will introduce you to some effects, but i wouldn't buy it...i'd save for a better one.
  9. Serac

May 29, 2005
  10. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    That would be a multi effect/amp modeler. I will give you effects like chorus, reverb, delay, octave, and autowah. It will also simulate different kinds of popular amplifiers. The effects are a little weak but the amp mods are pretty decent.
    IMO the thing you were looking at will have better effects.
    I use a Boss ME50-B multi effect unit and while the effects are good I still think my old Zoom BFX708 did some things better. I liked the autowah and the tuner better on the Zoom but over all the Boss is much cleaner and the sounds are better especially the distortions.
    One advantage to having a muti fx unit is that most of them have a built in tuner. Also you have less wires to trouble shoot when things go wrong.
    If I were you I would go with a multi fx unit so you can get a feel for what you like as far as effects go and later down the road you can get whatever. Besides, you will always have something around that you can use for practice that has a tuner.
  11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Hey, how do you like the ME-50B? After reading some reviews, I think I'm going to get one. I can't find any local stores that stock em... Even GC doesn't have it (and if they did it would probabally be broken :rollno: )
  12. Serac

May 29, 2005
    amp modeler? I didn’t know different amps made different sounds.. Is that what you mean??
  13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Yah. Basically is modifies the input to sound like a specific amp.
  14. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I like it. The effects are nice and are pretty easy to get what you want. You can set up presets but I pretty much just use a few sounds so I don't bother.
  15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    When playing loud live, is it easy to hear the FX such as reverb and distortion and chorus?
  16. Serac

May 29, 2005
    Wait, the multi FX I posted in my first post or the other “amp modeler?” I believe their the same price… Which one should I get, and what are the perks of getting one over the other? :)
  17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I would be hesitant to get a modeling unit because I would think that they spent too much time on the models and too little on the FX, and I don't need a model. I have Mesa 400+ for that ;) As for the Berhinger imitations and the real PODs, beware that you will need to get a seprate foot pedal.
  18. I picked up a used pod w/ floor board and I really like it. The amp models are cool, although I seem to prefer the ampeg, which is the amp I use already.
    The effects work well. It'll really come in handy for recording, since i won't have to mic a cab. It's a nice little practice amp as well when you use headphones.
  19. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    If you are talking about the ME50-B the answer is yes. I didn't think the effects on the Behringer V-Amp where very strong. The amp models where fun to play with and I think it would be an excellent recording tool but as a live affects unit you could get something better.
  20. TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    I have one of these in my rack at home.
    Its the rack mount version of the same Behringer device you are considering. The difference is additioal digital outputs and balanced XLR outputs and a few other routing features.
    I think it sounds pretty good for recording. I'd like to use it in front of a power amp (P.A. style poweramp) and cab to try it out. I don't think it has any use in front of regular bass amp.
    IMHO, the presets are exagerrated for effect. Very few are usable right out of the box. They are very good for demonsrating what it can do, but like i said, they are exagerrated. Tweaks are required - straight away.

My wife gave me one of these as a gift. It's basically the same thing as the Digitech device you are considering, without the foot expression/volume pedal. While it will not set the world on fire, it does sound suprisingly good. Without the cabinet models you can run it in front of a regular bass amp with no problems. A few of the presets were pretty good straight away. The effects are ok, the amount of control is a bit limited. (EG, the depth of the flange is stepped, there's either 8 or 10 steps - not very many)
    I've used it running DI into a PA system and have been more than pleased with the results, YMMV.

Given the choice, for recording without an amp/microphone I'd pick the Behringer. For playing live and experimenting with using effects, I'd choose the Digitech. Especially the Digitech if you plan to use it in front of a bass amp.

As for the single 'stompbox' vs multi-effcts debate. All I can say is, "it depends." There's way too many variables to simply say one is preferred over the other in every case.
    I rarely use effects on my bass, when I do it is rather subtle, like a touch of flange or chorus if I'm playing in a 3 piece unit, just to thicken the bass signal. I may not kick that in until the guiatr goes to solo. In that case I like single effects units. otoh, if I'm playing some whacked out processed stuff, or I have to go back and forth quickly, I like the multi-effects units that i can program the selections into presets with no knob fiddling on stage. That's just me - again YMMV.