Multi-effects pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CraigD, Apr 16, 2001.

1. CraigD

Jul 21, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    Just a quick question for those who use multi-effects pedals. Which ones and what are the main effects that you rely on.

I am interested in buying one (hopefully not too expensive). I think for the kind of music I play I am mostly looking for a little chorus, a little reverb (for one tune in particular), and perhaps a bit of overdrive for a couple of others. And I like the idea of having the tuner and volume control within the unit - I play 4 string but have to drop D for a few tunes without the audience hearing it.

2. If you have a lot of money try a digitech bp8. If your broke like me cuz you bought an expensive bass try a zoom 506. I have both and the bp8 is way better but lacks good distortions and synth effects but it has everything else you can think of.
  3. shagEb

shagEb Guest

Apr 14, 2001
    USA, Polkville NC
    the TONE WORKS by KORG is the best i'm using one and its great.the price is less then the BP8 and the effect are good(not the distortion).i have not use the ZOOM, how is it?
  4. I have an Eventide GTR 4000. It has EVERY effect you can think of and has beatiful, pristine sound quality. It is a little high priced ($2700) but if you are looking for serious effects look no further. Or if you want something that is almost as good you can spend $1300 on a Lexicon MPX-G2 like the one Les Claypool has.
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Boss ME-8B is an excellent MultiFX unit and can be had for a reasonable price used.
  6. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    well, i have a zoombfx708. it is interresting. i would say that about half of it's 48 effects i use. it has a 7second record on it too, so i can play bass with myself, which is real cool. it also has a drum machine, which can be fun too. i use about 3 of it's effects mainly, but much prefer the raw sound of no effects. bypass mode is a tuner and no effects. oh, and each effect is verrrry adjustable, so you can dial in a useable tone for each one. overall, worth the $130. but i mainly use mine for fun. good luck, laterdaysryan
  7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    well , it depends. i had the zoom 708 which was a great practice unit. ran on batteries and i could shed a little while i was on the road. flight delayed? no sweat, pull the 708 out of the gig bag, plug in headphones and practice away.
    the problem i have with inexpensive units is that when i step on the bypass switch, it isnt really bypassed/ i had this problem with the zoom 708. i spent good $$ on my bass. i want to hear MY BASS. if i plugged in direct, it would sound great, if i plugged in with the fx, it would kill the sound even when bypassed. i doubt this happens with an eventide-- that is pro stuff all the way, .. lexicon, too. but i need " true bypass" and believe it or not, the stomp boxes give you that. when the fx is off. it's OFF-- you hear the same thing as if the fx wasn't in the signal chain at all`. try the BOSS boxes. they have everything, even a tuner!! they are inexpensive. i use EBS boxes. they are the best in my opinion. a little more $$, but worth it. you give up a little flexibility, ( you can't store settings like different chorus rates or envelope sensitivity), but to me , it's more important to have a clean sound with all the headroom.
    at any rate, if you can afford it, ask for a unit with "true bypass"-- best of luck, peace.
  8. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    well, since mine is in the effects loop, i just turn the dial to dry and get just my amp, like the pedal wasnt even there. but i know exactly what you mean about the 708's bybass mode. it has something wrong with it.
  9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the effects loop is a great idea but most of these guys are made with bass-pedal-amp
    mentality. burt good idea, though--
  10. I use a DOD 30. It's cheap, effecient and has pretty good effects.
    I normally use wah and distortion. Chorus is a fav of mine too.
  11. Down here in australia, there a band that is just two bass players and a drummer, thats it and they are the most funkiest players you'll see for a while, both of them use plenty of effects, but none that are specifically for bass. (we toured with them once and they said why pay all the extra for a pedal that says 'bass' on it, so we just buy guitar pedals) there sound is just enormous. i

so just get some good guitar stomp boxes and string em up

(oh any one interested in this band they are called preshrunk with a site at definately worth a look.)