Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

multi-effects pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by peaveyfury32, Jul 22, 2002.

1. peaveyfury32

peaveyfury32 Guest

Jul 22, 2002
    Ringgold, Ga
    i am looking into getting a multi-effects pedal, but i dont know what would be the best for my money because i also want to get a spector bass. Could someone tell me what is the best multi-effects for under $250.00

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    As everyone in here will tell you, multi effects aren't good. For that kind of money you'd be better off getting 2 or 3 middle of the line (single) effects that you'll use most.

That said, what effects are you looking for in this unit. This would help us direct you towards good effects.

3. agreed... multi-effect pedals are a waste of money... most people that tell you otherwise probably own a multi-effects pedal and are in denial of how bad it really is.

4. peaveyfury32

peaveyfury32 Guest

Jul 22, 2002
    Ringgold, Ga
    yeah i know multi-effects arnt the greatest thing in the world, but when u put more than three singles in u get a hum out of the patch cords real easily.

5. i have no hum comming from my setup... even before i added the bypass box... you will experience some loss of quality in your tone depending on what type of pedals you use but it wont be nearly as bad as a multi-effect unit.

6. Jerry, Jr.

Jerry, Jr.

Jun 7, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I have to disagree with what seems to be the general opinion here. I have a Korg Hyperformance Multieffects Processor that I purchased for only $100. I've been using it for several months now and I am very pleased with it. I get some very cool sounds out of it. My only beef with it is how quickly it goes thru batteries. Other than that I would definitely recommend it.

7. Simply stated, Multi FX aren't a good thing...I spent $140 on the original BFX708, and although, I do like some of the options, I should've gotten a good single FX box or 2, but I needed the use of the Amp Sim and the Tuner....I enjoy it, but the FX quality isn't the greatest thing.BUT some do have the pitch shift option, I use mine for tuning Half-step down...Since I only have 1 bass....Get singles, and buy good stuff...The only way to go!!

8. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    The boss gt-6b is pretty cool, but I've only used them a few times. It seems to be the best one
    I've tried, but it's about $300 I think.

Multi-effects are cool sometimes, but just know that after owning one for a while, you will be
    dying to go out and start buying single effects. You will become a junkie addict on effects and blow
    your life savings and kids tuition on them...........

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Hey - don't put Multi-FX down too quickly.:mad:

It depends very much what you intended application is. I normally use a couple of boxes in my signal chain - a Line6 DL-4 (which isn't a cheap multi-FX unit but is brilliant if you want a range of delays, loops and general weirdness) and a Zoom 505II.

The Zoom works pretty well for me (even with the fact that the model I'm using is officially designed for the skinny stringed guitar). Granted, the effects are probably not the most astounding quality but they work for me. I particularly use a tremolo effect for some melodic lines where the bass is taking a lead, a fat, chorusy semi-synth sound for filling things out, and some distortion when I'm playing what would be rhythm guitar parts if there were a rhythm guitarist around. I also put it in the chain even when I don't want any of the effects - the chromatic tuner is clear and accurate, and hence very useful.

YMMV, but if you are on a limited budget and want a lot of bang for your buck without worrying too much about the finer nuances of the sound, things like the Zoom boxes are worth a look - even if you plan to eventually supplement and replace it with higher quality 'seperates'.

Peace,

Wulf

10. I almost always want my bass to sound like my bass. I like the sound of my bass, and know how to wield it. Sometimes however, I want it to sound strange, and for this I have a Zoom something something. It's fine. Plus it has the nifty tuner.

In general, you are better off buying a little gear you actually want and will keep than a lot of gear that sucks. I went the third route, and bought a little gear that sucks, but is versatile. This achieves the benefits of "lots of gear that sucks" without the associated cost.

11. Personally I think there ARE good multieffects but not in your pricerange. If you only want to try a lot of effects and combinations but aren't looking for a great sound i'd recommend a Zoom 506 II multieffect (should be ~$170)

You might try some nice single effects instead (GK Diesel Dawg and Ernie Ball Volume pedal is a nice comination which you might be able to get for ~$250)

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a ton of bass pedals...EBS/Boss etc......but I use a Boss GT-6B for most gigs because I don't have that much set up time......it has true bypass and I'm pretty happy with it......except the filters kinda suck.

13. The technology of getting all single FX and mounting them on a single board with it's own power supply has come around. Check out SKB et al for their contributions in the area. Here's a most bang for the buck recommendation:

MXR bass octave $70
    BOSS CEB-3 bass chorus $80
    BOSS TU-2 tuner/power $110
    BOSS 3-space board $30 (possibly free with everything else, depending on retailer)

This will give you some tone extention and color, provide footswitchable silent tuning, and pack up nicely in a compact case for simple plug & play convenience.

14. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Multi-fx: If you have to buy one, get it really cheap, that way when you throw the POS out, you won't feel so bad!

15. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I have owned a DOD Bass-30 for about 2 years now and have had no problems with it.
    I only use it to toy around with at home, but I wouldn't hesitate to gig with it if I needed too!

16. bassman4hire

bassman4hire

Jun 14, 2002
    canada
    I have a zoom and like all the effects. But if I was to complain it is the fact that it is a bit of a pain to program. but for the price 130$ it has alot to offer.

17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I bought a Digitech BP-8 about 3 years ago. At first I thought it was the greatest thing in the world. But after I got bored with the effects I'll never use (reverb comes to mind) I realized it wasn't as great as I originally thought. It did help me figure out what certain effects do and which ones I like and don't like. For example I don't care much for flangers, but envelope filters are cool. FWIW, I still have it, and plan on incorporating it in my effects rig to use the delay, chorus, and octaver effects. The effects aren't great, but they are good enough for now.

18. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'm in two minds over multi-effects, on the one hand they tend to be less good sounding than dedicated pedals and have a lot of useless effects, on the other hand i'ts very handy to have programmed settings to recall for each song.

I have both, in the form of EBS pedals, and the Roland V-Bass which I mostly use as a multi-effects/amp simulator with a regular bass pickup, and I tend to use the EBS pedals most of the time. Possibly I change my mind once I have fiddled more with the V-Bass and know it as good as the pedals.

Unless you want a lot of effects (and most tend to try it for a while and then stop), I'd say i'ts better to only get good sounding pedals for those few effects that are most useful for bass (overdrive, chorus/flanger, octaver, envelope filter), and skip everything else.

----------------------------------------------
    IMHO, of course. :)

19. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    GT-6B is a very versatile multi. great for giging. quality sounds and construction..it is expensive though...but if it is good enough for Alain Caron it is good enough for me.....saw him yesterday, he was playing TWO Roland DB-900 combos (4x10, 2x12 1 horn), the GT-6B and two six string custom F basses...one fretted the other not..this guy is a giant!!

http://www.alaincaron.com/ http://www.fbass.com/

20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The GT-6B is good enough for Alphonso Johnson too:D