Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

multi effects units

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Jan 25, 2006.

1. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey everyone I been thinking about getting a multi effects unit so that I can experiment with diffrent sounds and also have all those sounds at my fingertips. But ive heard mixed reviews about them and I was wondering what you guys would recommend?

2. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    I use individual FX but I do have some advice:

Try Them All ;)

3. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    from my own experience, I can't reccomend a multi effect pedal for giging. I found when trying to use it giging, there was just an excess of options I really didn't need or use. unless you enjoy endless hours of fiddling with menus and re-ordering effects. Maybe i'm just too lazy.

but with that said, they are fun to play around with for other purposes. I have a Boss GT-6B that I use when i'm writing and recording songs outside of a band setting. I do enjoy being able to have a lot of effects in a relatively compact unit and just playing around with different sounds.

I can't really reccomend one model or brand over another (as far as multi-fx go) since i haven't used very many of them. I do enjoy my Boss GT-6B for what I use it for.

before you get one I would just ask yourself how you were planning on using it, and if that would be worth what you payed.

4. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    I have own a Boss GT-6B as well. It's a pretty good multi effect pedalboard. The Line 6 Bass PoDxt Live and Korg ToneWorks AX3000B are nice, too.

As IcedEarthWOM has stated, try them all or as many as possible.

Ted

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Well I just got the new Zoom B2.1u. Pretty impressive for the price (half the price of the POD XT Live). Tons of effects, compressor, limited, head and cab modeling, tuner, wah/volume/etc pedal, 32 bit processor, USB hookup to PC, built in drum machine for $189 shipped from most online dealers. Pretty quiet too!

[​IMG]

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    +1

We have answered this very question many, many times in just the past year.
    If you do a search, you will find the answers you seek. :)

7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Buy my PodXT for $200 shipped. Nice price for a barely used pice of gear.

8. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    I am VERY impressed with the AX3000B by Toneworks. I got the coolest mix today on this thing. I took the synth preset, and started adjusting things on it, the way I want it, and it came out fabulous. Added a little filtron, and delay to it. Saved it as a patch, and Im ecstatic :hyper: Once I got it dial'd in just right, I jamed for a good 3 hrs.

Dont get me wrong, ALL multi-effects are cheese, but at least, Im not going to sell this one, like I have every other one Ive owned.

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4465099&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4465099&q=hi

9. That sounds cool! I have been eyeing up that ax3000b, I would like to compare to the GT6B.

10. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    What about a yamaha magicstomp eb?

11. Some Groovy Guy

Some Groovy Guy

Sep 28, 2006
    Vancouver
  12. I own the Zoom 708 II. It was my first effects unit. I'd say if you're a beginner and looking to experiment with effects the multi fx units are a good place to start. At some point I'll definately be looking into buying individual effects, because I find that the multi fx unit gives you 'a taste of everything', but dosen't really specialize at any of them.