multi effects units

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Jan 25, 2006.

1. bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey everyone I been thinking about getting a multi effects unit so that I can experiment with diffrent sounds and also have all those sounds at my fingertips. But ive heard mixed reviews about them and I was wondering what you guys would recommend?
  2. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    I use individual FX but I do have some advice:

Try Them All ;)
  3. alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    from my own experience, I can't reccomend a multi effect pedal for giging. I found when trying to use it giging, there was just an excess of options I really didn't need or use. unless you enjoy endless hours of fiddling with menus and re-ordering effects. Maybe i'm just too lazy.

but with that said, they are fun to play around with for other purposes. I have a Boss GT-6B that I use when i'm writing and recording songs outside of a band setting. I do enjoy being able to have a lot of effects in a relatively compact unit and just playing around with different sounds.

I can't really reccomend one model or brand over another (as far as multi-fx go) since i haven't used very many of them. I do enjoy my Boss GT-6B for what I use it for.

before you get one I would just ask yourself how you were planning on using it, and if that would be worth what you payed.
  4. T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    I have own a Boss GT-6B as well. It's a pretty good multi effect pedalboard. The Line 6 Bass PoDxt Live and Korg ToneWorks AX3000B are nice, too.

As IcedEarthWOM has stated, try them all or as many as possible.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Well I just got the new Zoom B2.1u. Pretty impressive for the price (half the price of the POD XT Live). Tons of effects, compressor, limited, head and cab modeling, tuner, wah/volume/etc pedal, 32 bit processor, USB hookup to PC, built in drum machine for $189 shipped from most online dealers. Pretty quiet too!

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA

We have answered this very question many, many times in just the past year.
    If you do a search, you will find the answers you seek. :)
  7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Buy my PodXT for $200 shipped. Nice price for a barely used pice of gear.
  8. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    I am VERY impressed with the AX3000B by Toneworks. I got the coolest mix today on this thing. I took the synth preset, and started adjusting things on it, the way I want it, and it came out fabulous. Added a little filtron, and delay to it. Saved it as a patch, and Im ecstatic :hyper: Once I got it dial'd in just right, I jamed for a good 3 hrs.

Dont get me wrong, ALL multi-effects are cheese, but at least, Im not going to sell this one, like I have every other one Ive owned.

lo-fi URL:
    hi-fi URL:
  9. That sounds cool! I have been eyeing up that ax3000b, I would like to compare to the GT6B.
  10. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    What about a yamaha magicstomp eb?
  11. Some Groovy Guy

Some Groovy Guy

Sep 28, 2006
  12. I own the Zoom 708 II. It was my first effects unit. I'd say if you're a beginner and looking to experiment with effects the multi fx units are a good place to start. At some point I'll definately be looking into buying individual effects, because I find that the multi fx unit gives you 'a taste of everything', but dosen't really specialize at any of them.