Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Multi-Finger users, finger order?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Davidoc, Dec 8, 2000.

1. I want to use more than two fingers while playing, but am confused about finger order.

Let's say you're playing with 3 fingers: Do you (personally, not in general) play in the following order?

index, middle, ring, index, middle... or

ring, middle, index, ring, middle?

Suggestions?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The most natural way seems to be 'from back to front', (pinky, ring, middle, index).
    The rest is practice (I suppose) - I just use this order (occasionally)

3. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    This is probably bad but I've noticed that when I try to go strictly in order(any order) it's not as effective as just "reaching" for the string I'm going for with the nearest finger(!) The only constant I discovered is that starting a phrase with my middle finger seems to insure a smoother "ride" through the phrase. It seems to work....

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i do ring-middle-index-thumb.

5. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    That's odd. I'd figure you'd do it the other way around, index to ring. I always start out on my index when I do two-finger, except that sometimes I'll start with my middle when playing a note on the G-string, which I end up doing because I can just go straight to plucking on a lower string without changing fingers.

So I guess that's kinda like this "reaching with what's closest" thing.

6. i usualy don't think about it and let the fingers do what they want but i practice 3-1-2 and 3-2-1
    i have been working on 3-1-2-thumb-elbow-nose but i can't build up enough skin on my nose :D

7. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Go to work for the Government!

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    For triplets: ring, middle, index;

Alternately: thumb, middle, index.

For multiples of four: ring, middle, index, middle;

Alternately: thumb, ring, middle, index (classical guitar tremolo).

9. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    It depends on the rythm you're playing. Try different appraoches and see what works best for you on different rythms.

10. I use 3 fingers.. I never think about what finger I am using, I just pick with whatever is there, and use the others to mute strings. I used to worry that I wasn't going in any set order.. but eventually I realized that trying to force that was a waste of effort. It won't happen overnight, but eventually it will flow naturally.