multi fx-- cheap and gigable?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dgce, Jun 9, 2003.

1. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I see so many inexpensive multi effects pedals for bass out there now (Digitech and Zoom come to mind) around the $60 to $150 range. I figure these might be cool for jaming at home and experimenting in your home studio but are any of these fit for a proper gig? If so, I might give one a shot to color a few songs.

Any suggestions?

2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have a Korg AX1B, which is a cheap multi-effects. It is fun to mess around with at home, but I found it hard to use live. Plus, the sound isn't great. I have been using it for the past two months live, though. I only use two settings (a phaser and a octave divider), so I don't have to tap dance on the buttons.

On mine, you have to step on both buttons to bypass the effect, and I don't have giant clown feet, so it is dicey to try it live. I just programmed blank settings between my own settings, so if I only hit one button, it gives the uncolored sound. I like the tuner, which I can mute.

My current pedalboard has a DOD FX25 (for reggae/dub tones), SABBDI, and the Korg.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Actually, the Korg is the only gigable cheap multi effect unit I've experienced.
    All others sound like toys.
    The AX-1 B has really good sounds when you get into it.
  4. I use a Zoom 607 for rehearsals and some gigs where I don't use many efx and don't need to haul out the big board for.
  5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I used the Digitech BP200 for awhile, and there was some good stuff on it, but I ended up taking it back and grabbing the individual effects that I found useful. Multi Effects are cool, but usually some individual effects are better than others. That said, if you're going to go with multi effects, , The Boss GT6-B and Roland V Bass system, the Bass version of the Korg Pandora, The Bass Pod (which is more of an amp modeller) or the Digitech BNX unit they just came out with are prolly among the best quality wise.
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Don't laugh - I still have a Zoom 506b in my effects board and it CAN be made to sound good at times. It gets a bad rap and yes, some of the sounds are plain awful, but the same can be said about expensive effects units.

The thing about multi effects units, especially cheap ones, is they're jacks of all trades but masters of none. Yeah they've all got a wha effect for example, but you'll get a better wha from a dedicated wha pedal. Same goes for EQ, overdrive etc etc.......

But for what you want, it will work fine and it's cheap as chips.......