1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Multi FX Musings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by doctormoose87, Dec 7, 2011.

1. doctormoose87

doctormoose87

Feb 12, 2011
    Hereford UK
    Hi All

Just pondering the finer points of bass (I lie I'm Gasing) and just wanted to the ask the TBers what their thoughts are on Multi FX pedals.

Would you pick one over a normal couple of stomp boxes and why? And which would you suggest?

Cheers

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I personally like multi-effects processors. I own a zoom b2.1u and a korg ax5b. I like multi-effects processors because they have unique sounds. I also like them because they're easy to set up when it come to rehearsals, gigs, and studio recording. also I don't want the kind of rig where I have to haul around a bunch of of effects(especially effects I don't necessarily need). which is why I've been using multi-effects processors in the first place. for the record, I have nothing against stomp-boxes. I think they sound pretty cool. I just don't want too many. 3 or 4 stomp-boxes is more than enough for me. I do own three stomp-boxes as my emergency effects(in case something happens to my current effects). other than that, I like using multi-effects processors. I would use multi-effects processors live and during recording any day. and I would use stomp-boxes as long as I have too many of them.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A multi-fx pedal is great 1) if you're searching for a sound and don't have a large base of effects knowledge, 2) if you want the convienence of an all-in-one for quick gigs, and 3) if you're not particular about the individual effects you're using with the multi, or only use a couple of the "better" patches they offer. Otherwise, singles are both better sounding, (depending, of course), and infinately more tweakable, and stackable. The trade off really is quality for quantity.

4. I have a Digitech BP355. It's a fun pedal with a lot of good sounds at 1/8th the price of what I would pay for the pedals I would want to replace it with:D

5. It always seems to be an either or situation but I use a combination of single effects with a multi. I could get by with just a multi but there are some things i want a more particular sound or where single effects sound better.
    Compressors, Distortion, envelope followers and analog modulation to my ear sounds better but digital multis are getting better every season.

6. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I will add if yiou are not sure what effects you like. A multi is a good way to get an all in one package to give you an idea of what you will like/need and what you wont.

7. +1
    great way to start! got me line in recording right away & gave me a solid idea of what i was looking for when i started putting a pedalboard together.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, that was my #1 comment, "searching for sound, lack of knowledge" thing. True it is.

9. From a practical point of view a multi-fx is better on-stage, less cabling/noise/power supply/things could go wrong and so on. Some purists thing old analog pedals are better but I'm no fan of my 1982 Boss Chorus exactly.

10. Even though not perfect, for the money, the Digitech BP355 is hard to beat as it can do quite alot for under $200.

11. Jawbone

Jawbone

Jul 15, 2010
    Humboldt County
    1. Great way to start with a tool kit full of effects, sounds and tones.

2. The price is right!

3. Don't expect the moon?

in my experience with the BP:80 & 355, Zoom B2.1u and Boss ME-50

Everyone is equally as good as the others. However, each ME had it's plus' and minus'. In the end I always think I have a volume or expression pedal, a tuner and a few effects I like. That alone is worth the price of many of these