1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Multi FX not only for bass.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by popinfresh, Oct 5, 2009.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey guys, this isn't strictly bass related but thought you'd be the best place to ask for help.

I'm interested in doing a solo music project using electronic drums, bass/guitar and vocals.

A few months ago I found this guy;

He simply beatboxes and uses his voice with effects and loopers to create complete tracks live. Seeing I can't beat box, but I can play drums/bass/guitar and the music scene here in Calgary is pretty small compared to Melbourne, I'd love to start doing something on my own in my spare time creating tracks and loops with drums and bass, then adding vocal/bass/guitar parts on top.

I honestly have no idea where to start, but figured a loop station and multi FX would be one place. I'd want to be running drums through loops and possibly effects (if the electronic kit I get has nothing quality built in, haven't even looked at them yet). I'm just wondering if I'm using bass and guitar/vocals would I be better off getting a Multi FX designed around bass frequencies or higher up? Or should I be running two or more of them?

Also, I haven't used effects in a long time.. so is this even possible to link up multiple instruments eventually into one output source? I've done a fair bit of soundscape using only my bass and different effects before and would love to start doing it again, but creating whole tracks.

Any input is much appreciated, cheers :)

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The loop station is a given, but as far as effects for different instruments go, it may be a good idea to at least go with one each, for bass and guitar. I can tell you, for guitar, the Vox ToneLabST is a great sounding $200 unit. For bass, folks here seem to like the Zoom B something or other, (I don't use a multi with bass). Or, just get a ToneLab, and play bass straight, or with just some overdrive. Not sure if you'd be entirely happy using a guitar multi fx with bass, or vice versa. Good luck with your project.

3. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    cool links to the fxdub, I'm checking out his web sight to see just what he's got going.

All the loop and effects stuff, kind of depends who is running the machines. Adrian Belew blows your mind, most everybody else (fxdub excepted) just blows.

Think mickey mouse in the sorcerer's apprentice, it just goes all wrong.

4. JMDT

JMDT

Jan 30, 2008
    Louisville, Ky
    The Line 6, Moog, and Eventide will work great on almost anything. An eventide pitchfactor in a loop could make your bass sound like a guitar. For a multi, a Line 6 M13 will work well for multiple instruments.