Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Multi fx (sample & play , BPM synced delay)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by adisu, May 11, 2005.

1. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Hello
    I was wondering if anybody can advise me a good multi- FX.
    I actually have a small budget so don't go for the state of the art.
    The 2 most important functions that it should have are:
    1.sample and play (to record myself and play over it)
    2.synced delay (to sync the delay to BPM)

I thought of buying the "ZOOM 708 II" i know it has the sample ans play function but does anybody know if the delay is BPM synced ???

Thanks in advance.

Adi

2. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    If you've got a bad case of Gear Aquisition Syndrome (GAS), it would be easy to snap-up the first thing you can afford. Take a poll here if you want to see how many people did that, only to find a week (or day?) later that they "blew it".

I highly endorse the Line6 Bass PODxt ($300), but the Boss GT-6B ($400) is another favorite. The PODxt tends to be a bit more "sophisticated", emphasizing modeling over effects (but has both). The GT-6B is generally preferred for effects (but has limited modeling too). Both should give you good control over delay, but control is in units of time, not BPM. Of course, I'm sure you know that time is just the reciprocal of frequency (BPM), so a hand-calculator should suffice for the conversions.

The problem with the low-end units (Digitech, Zoom, Behringer, etc.) is that they a) are noisy and b) take a long time to switch between patches in a live setting.

I'm less clear on the recording feature, since I never thought having a limited recording/playback feature (6 seconds?) was that useful.

3. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks mate !!!!! :)

BTW 6 sec is usefull for a small goove loop to solo over
    in a live show (if jaco did it it's good for me).

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I think the only thing that will do what you want ie the bpm sync'ed delays is the Roger Linn Adrenelinn (model 1 & 2)

These are quite expensive, but very very good. I found it to complex for me and it does have a odd system of knobs but no menus. Either way try one, it could be what you are looking for.

The Yamaha Magic Stomp's are highly regarded as delays, again I didn't like the bass one but you might.

5. BOSS DD-20

VERY VERSATILE DELAY PEDAL WITH A LOOP ON LOOP FUNCTION.
    :bassist:

6. .........LOOP UP TO 23 SECONDS