Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

multi head/cab/question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mgamache65, May 11, 2003.

1. i have two sunn tube heads(200s with 4ohm and 8ohm outputs)and a (sunn sonaro with 8ohm and 16ohm outputs) i currently run two ampeg 15" cabs independantly using a patch bay for the inputs, the question is that i would like to run a 10" cab with each 15 to bring out the mids better, (all cabs are 8ohm///no problem with my 200s as it has a 4ohm output, is there a way to alter my sonaro to have a 4ohm output ?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The outputs from tube amps are based on taps in their output transformers, so short of replacing the transformer there is no way.

HOWEVER, you could wire the two 8 ohm cabinets in series so that the load would be 16 ohms to match the Sonaro's 16 ohm output. This would involve either making a special cable or an adaptor box with a pair of jacks.

Parallel wiring means that the positive terminals of both cabinets are wired to the amp's positive output, and both negative cab connections are wired to the amp's negative output.

For Series the cabinets must be wired together, such as:

[Amp+] -- [+ cab 1 -] --- [+ cab 2 -] --- [Amp-]