1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Multi I/O woes

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by lowendgenerator, Mar 3, 2008.

1. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I've been making music most of my life, but have never really done much multi-track recording. Our setup currently consists of a Mackie mixer into a M-Audio solo firewire I/O box into a PC running Sonar. We want to upgrade our I/O interface, but I'm unsure what to invest in. We are looking to spend around 400USD on a used unit. I'd like to get at least 8 ins and outs via Firewire, so we can dedicate each drum mic to it's own track.

What do you suggest? (besides using the search function!:rolleyes:)

2. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    You will need a preamp for each channel if you plan on micing up a kit. I would look at the Presonus Firestudio Project...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PRESONUS-Fir...ageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122

but if you could spring an extra $200 get the non "studio" Firestudio, this will give you the ADAT IO that will allow for further expandability down the track...

Other contender is the MOTU 8pre.. which is a good option as it comes with ADAT IO on the back..

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/8pre/

good luck!

3. +1 on the presonus

4. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I have a focusrite saffire pro/26 which runs about $700 new and has 8 i/o with nice sounding preamps. The preamps are better than on the presonus from what I've heard, but I haven't been able to directly compare. Focusrite is pretty renowned for their preamps, the ones on the pro/26 aren't as good as other focusrite pres I've heard like on the control/24 but then again those are class A and the pro/26 is only $700. For the money I think they sound great.

The pro/10 is identical to the pro/26 except no ADAT. It runs $500 new but you can probably find one on ebay for cheaper.

5. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I'm a bit confused. The mics will be running into the Mackie board, then into the I/O. Aren't there preamps in the Mackie board?

6. If you don't need pres I'd recommend the m audio delta1010. 8 balanced analog ins and outs, plus 2 digital ins and outs. It's a PCI card though, not a big deal to install. Should be well within your budget used. Sounds fine for the level you are at, to do better is a big leap in price.

7. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    the board will still send only one line, won't it? so the I/O you put behind it won't have any effect on it... you still only use one of the I/O channels
    and still have one line coming in your computer...

having an 8 line I/O will give you 8 I/O channels for running to your PC, thus giving you 8 separate lines to work with...

(unless I'm wrong on the mackie board, and it has 8 line outs, if it does, you don't need a preamp for every line...)

8. I would hope you have inserts on each channel. Would be a pretty useless recording console if it didn't.

9. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    yeah but you'll also need the same amounts of outputs, to have the same amount of lines in your recording software... and most mixing board don't have that, thus you'll need something 'remo' came up with...

10. I don't think we are communicating here. Most mixing consoles, save your ultra cheap live sound type stuff have what are called inserts. On the old Mackie VLZ stuff you could go mic pre -> insert send -> tape machine -> monitor out from the tape machine -> insert return -> and on in to the mixer. This way you didn't have to set up the board different from tracking to mixing. Any console made for recording should give you an output for each channel.

11. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    the Delta 1010 is a PCI card interface, the OP wanted firewire.. I would personally still get an interface with 8 pre's on it... the pre's can always accept a line input anyway.. it just makes more sense to me to get the pre's, at least you have them if you need them (and you will one day!)... and while those Mackie pre's aren't the worst around it's nice to have some other options.

12. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    ah ok, well it is what I meant... (output for each channel)
    that's why I said: (unless I'm wrong on the mackie board, and it has 8 line outs, if it does, you don't need a preamp for every line....

apparently I am wrong ;)

sorry....:bag:

13. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Our Mackie board has discreet sends for every channel, so we're set. We ended up going with an M-Audio 1814 Firewire box. Found one on eBay for hella cheap. Thanks for helping me figure this all out.