Multi-instrumentalists: How do you schedule your practice time?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sean150, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
    This might also fall under General Instruction; however, since I am not specifically asking about bass I put it here.

I had another practice breakdown today where I realized that none of the practice I am doing is getting me to a specific goal, no matter how much I enjoy it. As much as I would like to be as good as Jaco, MM, Flea and all the greats, by trying to achieve that I am not touching my real goal in making music (specifically I would love to write and produce my own music). I know to do that I would need to improve my guitar and keyboard skills but I am afraid that, by removing focus from bass I will stop improving on that instrument.

So I am wondering, for those of you who play multiple instruments, how do you work the various instruments into your practice time to keep forward momentum? Or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and let bass linger in the background for awhile?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I don't schedule practice time. I just try to make progress on all fronts as best I can, some instruments have to wait a bit sometimes. I don't practice bass enough though, have to keep from going backwards lol.

Sean150 likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022