Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Multi-Modulaters, Lets Talk Tone...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mz91, Mar 5, 2003.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I searched through the past threads on Modulus Basses and the subject has been touched on but never really answered. I was Just wondering what the difference in tone the Sweet Spot (One Pickup Modulus) Modulus and the Normal 2 pickup models had. I would like the answer to be regarding a Modulus with normal EMG pickups. But feel free to put in your .02 on other pickup models :barts, lane poor. Thanks guys....:)

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    With a two pickup (Bart) Quantum, you can pan to the bridge pickup and get a nice throaty 'J' tone. You can also use the neck pickup for a deep, low, smoothe tone.

The Sweetspot gets a good 'middle of the road' sound. To me, it sounds like a two-pickup Quantum with both the neck and bridge pickups engaged at 50/50.

Some argue that you lose harmonics or something with two pickups and prefer a single. Personally, my ears are not sophisticated to hear the difference. I prefer to have the flexibility of tone of having two.

3. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Thanks for the reply.....

4. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    since there are no more replies i take it that captain wollys opinion is right on point?

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I thought this thread was something about moderators at first. You might want to try a more catchy subject, like "Modulus: SweetSpot or Not?" :D

6. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I would say go give them both a try and see for yourself, but since you are in Switzerland, that's pretty tough to do I imagine.

If you just have to order one sight unseen, I would say go for the regular Quantum unless you're someone who really believes in the 'one pickup is better' philosophy. It's always good to have tonal options. The costs of add the extra pickup are nominal and the resale value will likely be much better.

By the way, if you really want to stir the pot, ask about EMG's vs Barts in Quantums. The overwhelming opinion is that Barts are warmer, smoother. I prefer Barts myself, however, I played an EMG Quantum and I think that configuration is not without it's charms.