Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Multi-piece f-board... ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Sal_Paradise, Oct 12, 2004.

1. I was thinking in the shower today, why have I never seen a multi-piece fretboard? Ye ole laminate kinda thang, ya know? Like... ya know, a fretboard made o' three or mo' pieces of wood.

Ya know? Yeah... I think you get it.

2. I've seen quite a few Carl Thompsons that have multi-piece fingerboards... Claypool's comes to mind...

Also, someone here posted a bass he's building that has stringers on the edges, that one looked nice, like over-thick binding.

3. Gracias! Yay, I've seen those hoodlebies with the thin strips up the sides (like a binding) but never like 3 whoppin' pieces of something.

4. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I did this once to hide a router slip :eyebrow: :D What I did ended up being pretty much like really heavt binding that went all the way though the neck. The outside 1/4" of the fretboard and the neck were a seperate piece. worked fine

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Ther are also the "melted top" Conklins.

6. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    I'll be starting one like this in a week or so. The customer wants the neck lams to go clear through to the FB surface. It's a six-string with a 7 piece neck, so there will be a different color of wood showing between each pair of strings.