Multi-piece f-board... ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Sal_Paradise, Oct 12, 2004.

1. I was thinking in the shower today, why have I never seen a multi-piece fretboard? Ye ole laminate kinda thang, ya know? Like... ya know, a fretboard made o' three or mo' pieces of wood.

Ya know? Yeah... I think you get it.
  2. I've seen quite a few Carl Thompsons that have multi-piece fingerboards... Claypool's comes to mind...

Also, someone here posted a bass he's building that has stringers on the edges, that one looked nice, like over-thick binding.
  3. Gracias! Yay, I've seen those hoodlebies with the thin strips up the sides (like a binding) but never like 3 whoppin' pieces of something.
  4. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I did this once to hide a router slip :eyebrow: :D What I did ended up being pretty much like really heavt binding that went all the way though the neck. The outside 1/4" of the fretboard and the neck were a seperate piece. worked fine
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Ther are also the "melted top" Conklins.
  6. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    I'll be starting one like this in a week or so. The customer wants the neck lams to go clear through to the FB surface. It's a six-string with a 7 piece neck, so there will be a different color of wood showing between each pair of strings.