1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Multi-ply neck front to back

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BlastGatr, Mar 30, 2015.

1. BlastGatr

BlastGatr

Jan 15, 2014
    Central Indiana
    From what I've found multi-ply necks are all left to right, which is all fine and dandy, but I figured it would be cheaper instead to make a neck with 2 pieces going front to back (as I can't find a thick enough one-piece that's cheap). Meaning it would be fretboard/piece 1/piece 2, as opposed to the fretboard on top of the perpendicularly. They would all be parallel, then I'd shape them. Would this work, or do I just need to shell out the money and get the multiple strips/a one-piece?

2. PDX Rich

PDX Rich

Dec 19, 2014
    Portland, OR
    My understanding is that quartersawn orientation, or a side-by-side laminate is going to be much stronger. Perhaps you can find a moderately priced maple board that is 1" thick and 6" wide, rip it into thirds and then side-by-side stack them?

3. BlastGatr

BlastGatr

Jan 15, 2014
    Central Indiana
    There's a local-ish lumber and hardware shop, Rockler, that has pieces that I could use as the laminate, but I feel like they're semi-expensive, and they don't offer anything thicker than 3/4" or wider than 5".

4. Manton Customs

Manton Customs UK Luthier

Jan 31, 2014
    Shropshire, UK
    Luthier, Manton Customs
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    There's at least one completed build and one in progress on the LC with horizontal laminations.

That being said, depending on the surface of the board and the design of your neck, a 3/4" board can be sufficient for making a neck shaft if you're adding a 1/4" - 5/16" fingerboard.

6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Flat-sawn lams (2 maybe) stacked will work (if the grain is straight) like a flat-sawn one-piece- same strength side-to-side, and with the fingerboard to help neutalize any settling tendencies, should be just fine.
    The front-to back strength is in the trussrod countering the string tension, opposite sides of the fingerboard.
    I prefer quarter-sawn side-by-side 3 piece (min) for stiffness, tho as a wobbly neck -in any direction- is a sustain sucker.
    There're certainly different ways of looking at it, tho.