Multi Scale Replacement/Retrofit Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DangaDanga, Nov 6, 2019.

1. DangaDanga

DangaDanga

Mar 26, 2014
    Does anyone know of companies/people who make or can make a fanned fret replacement fender necks? I'm really interested in making a project with this on a bass I have versus buying a five string.

I know Novax does this but their scale length only goes to 35' and I'm looking for a 36 or ideally 37. I see a few years ago Payson did this but haven't heard back from them.

Any feed back would be awesome!

2. DangaDanga

DangaDanga

Mar 26, 2014
    bumps

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If you keep the 12th fret perpendicular to the strings you'd have to move the bridge saddle back an inch and a half to convert a 34" string to 37". How do you plan to do that?

4. DangaDanga

DangaDanga

Mar 26, 2014
    Yeah that's tricky. I'm still trying to work everything out but I've read some people were able to work it with a badass bridge. I use kickass bridges in my other basses and thought it might work once I can find someone who can do a neck and hash out the details.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Why go to that much trouble to reuse a body?

6. Here's the technical drawing for the Hipshot Kickass: https://docs.hipshotproducts.com/5K400.PDF
    They spec'd a maximum intonation range of 0.45 inch. You would have no choice but to but the adjustment screws on the bass side to get a 1.5" spread - if that's even possible. To get there you might also have to cut the threaded portion of the saddle too...

In any case I haven't heard of anyone doing custom necks for this sort of application. You're probably gonna have to get a custom neck, and at that point why not the whole instrument?

lz4005 likes this.
  7. DangaDanga

DangaDanga

Mar 26, 2014
    I just thought it would be a fun project if possible. I like frankensteins.

8. DangaDanga

DangaDanga

Mar 26, 2014
    Yeah I'm trying to gauge the price range and possibility which would stem from someone who can do a custom neck. I love doing mods and was seeing if it was under the price of a new bass which it doesn't seem likely anymore unless I go with a novax neck and settle with a 35 scale.

The idea kinda spurred when i found out the dingwall z3's can go for close to $10,000 with certain finishes. Granted there are other fanned fret makers but personal aesthetic and electronics are also big checks for me when I invest into a bass.

9. Yeah the Novax part is probably the only (relatively) inexpensive way to do a conversion.

That said you can get a new fanned fret bass from Rondo for around the same price. I don't see any fanned 4 strings in stock but it might be worth emailing them if you can't find an alternative way to convert your current bass.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021