"Multi-scale" Short Scale Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eternity, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Eternity

Eternity

Aug 20, 2019
    Hey all!
    So I was curious if anyone on here had come across a short scale bass that was also multi scale? I've been looking into short scales recently cause I love the easy maneuverability for chords and such, but I also don't want to loose that responsive low end of a full/medium scale bass.
    Any info on such an instrument would be greatly appreciated!
    P.s. sorry if this is in the wrong place, first time poster

phillipkregg likes this.
  2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Dingwall Super Series?
    Short scale on the little strings, full scale on the bigger ones...

3. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    As far as I know, it doesn't exist in any form, outside of a custom build. But at that point, unless you go headless, you're going to have a very hard time finding strings that work on it, let alone fit correctly.

I guess it depends on the OP's idea of short scale. The Dingwall Super Series is 33"-35"; not exactly what I'd consider.

4. Eternity

Eternity

Aug 20, 2019
    Yea, that's what I thought as well. It's a pretty unusual thing to be looking for I'm finding out. And yea, my personal idea of a short scale length would be about 30", maybe pushing to 32", but that's more towards, medium/full scale at that point.

5. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Mayones V fret Basses go from 32.25 to 34.25 inches. Beautiful Basses too!

Not as pretty is this Brice bass. They are well made Basses but nothing special to look at. This one is 30 to 34 inches. The bigger fan may make chording more difficult but that really depends on the player.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  6. Eternity

Eternity

Aug 20, 2019
    Yea love the look of the Moyones V frets. The Brice basses have always been a cool option, especially at the price, but the look has honestly been a hard sell for me tbh

7. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I was just thinking about this and found this thread. I think there could be a market for a 30-32/33” 5 string.

phillipkregg and Eternity like this.
  8. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
  9. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    32"-35", no? I guess that makes the G string technically medium scale, but that's just one inch off!

10. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Ditto!

11. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    The G string may be "medium scale," but nothing else is.

I would think a true multi-scale "short scale" bass would be something like 28"-31" or so. Which then my comment about needing it headless stands, as it would be incredibly hard to source custom strings for that.

phillipkregg and ajkula66 like this.
  12. MDH bass

MDH bass

Jul 16, 2018
    IIRC it was a pet project of some dude and it totally fell thru, i'll try to re-find some info

Green Knight likes this.
  13. MDH bass

MDH bass

Jul 16, 2018
    ah so i was partially kinda almost slightly right, 'Born out of a final exam project for designer Szabolcs Sinka’s Master’s in Product Design'

Bastard Basses Announces Little Bastard Bass

there *was* a website at some point but it's a deadlink :L

however this lil fella is one of the nicest looking basses i've ever seen

it'd be amazing if someone picked up the idea/design aesthetic and did a whole family - from short scale guitar (23/21 maybe?) all the way up the full scale bass (37/34 format), headless/headed, p'up/pre configs, optional tort pickup (leave a carrot sticker in the goodie bag), etc, etc.

find a good factory far east, korea seems to be putting out good stuff atm, set a starting price of £400-600ish. you can get a lot of guitar for that money

Eternity likes this.
  14. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Thanks for the (somewhat disappointing) info. I was hoping for a shorter pipeline, but put me down for a shorty once you've set all that up

MDH bass likes this.
  15. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I'm betting AC Guitars out of Scotland could make something like that. They routinely make headless 5s that are between 28" and 32" scales.

His basses are fantastic quality and he's also done fanned fret in the past. So I'm sure he could make a headless that is between 28/31" scale. His pricing is very good too, even for custom stuff like this.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  16. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Almost a year late, but OP's whish could soon be fulfilled now that Ibanez has announced the latest EHB1005SMS model of multi-scale 30-32" for 2021, which most likely will enter the market in a few months. Sadly, he hasn't logged in to this forum since September last year.

feat_EHB_multi_size.jpg
    Ibanez upcoming 30-32" multi-scale EHB1005SMS compared to current available 33-35" multi-scale EHB1005MS

ajkula66 likes this.
  17. Will Barsam

Will Barsam

Jan 30, 2021
    You can get a nice rumbly tone out of a mustang bass. I really like the sound of them. Also you can get a great tone out of a short scale music man and a Hofner violin bass https://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier...MIjZ3X95XF7gIVCuKzCh32agXxEAQYBSABEgKt__D_BwE

18. rdh190

rdh190

Sep 25, 2008
    My buddy just built this 32-35 bass, it feels quite natural. I haven’t played any other fanned fret basses though, so I can’t compare. He made the 7th fret perpendicular so the playability near the nut still feels good on the lower strings.

Attached Files:

19. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Thank you for posting this...:thumbsup:

A SS multiscale is something that I've been pondering for a while now. However, at $1150 I would have to try one in person before pulling a trigger on it.

Aidil likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021