Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Multi-split wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Suburban, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Consider this:
    - two humbucking pups
    - both individually switchable: single coil 1(SC1)/series/parallel/SC2 (one four position switch for each pup)
    - Output from those two switches connected to a blend pot, swichable series/parallel

How would that wiring diagram look, and what kind of switches would do the trick?

Why? Oh, just to have the versatility of an onboard preamp, without the need of a battery. Or something like that. Actually, this is a worst scenario, from which to pick accurate parts for different uses. I'm not all that good at electronics, especially switching:rolleyes:

Seriously: diagrams, anybody, please.

2. Find a Roscoe Beck V diagram and start there. What you describe is very close to the RB5.

The RB5 uses a 3-way switch instead of a blend pot.

I'd skip the 2nd series/parallel thing, and skip the pots in favor of a J-Retro. It will go passive in the event of battery failure.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Thank, bgavin, I had a look at Roscoe Beck V, since it's, to some extent, the same idea. The big difference is that RBV has one single coil position per pup.

This question was about two single coil positions, inner and outer, plus serie and parallel.
    Somwhat harder, I believe....

Anything further, anybody?

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You can't really use a blend pot if you plan on switching between series and parallel (for the two pickups). Blend pot only really works in parallel.

I'll tell you what I did: I have two dual-coil pickups in my bass. The output from the "lower" (towards the bridge) coil of each goes to the blend pot. I have a DPDT switch wired up so that, in the normal position, each pickup's "lower" coil is wired in series with its "upper" coil. Thus the two pickups are mixed as humbuckers.

When the switch is flipped, it simply crosses the wires so that each pickup's "lower" coil is wired in series withe the other pickup's "upper" coil. So, then the blend pot blends between "inner" and "outer" pairs. Since the pairs are in series, and mixed in parallel, the resulting output level is the same in either switch position.

Diagrammed thusly :) :
    [​IMG]

5. How does it sound? Novel idea for keeping loudness the same.

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Thanks, Geshel, I always thought that dual-split blend wouldn't work, but had to ask.

But, guys, what about the other issue, the four-split for the dual coil humbucker:
    bridge single coil - series - parallel - neck single coil ?

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Thanks. :) If you can bear my bad slapping technique, listen to

http://home.attbi.com/~taylorsherman/hw6_slap.mp3

It's the same riff repeated with 6 pickup settings:

1. :)00) bridge pickup, series humbucking
    2. :)12) neck pickup, series humbucking
    3. :)25) both pickups, each series humbucking, combined in parallel
    4. :)37) "inner" coils in series
    5. :)50) "outer" coils in series
    6. (1:02) piezo bridge

No volume or EQ adjustments between sets, recorded straight from bass to sound card.

* note, actually setting 4 is "P+ upper J" and settig 5 is "reverse P + lower J", but the difference is most notable on the pops anyway, where the change is from "inner" to "outer".

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    If you had a four-way switch (not that common), you could hook it up this way I believe. Series would be roughly twice as loud as the other three configurations (which could be handy, but I found the volume change when I would split my neck pickup to be bothersome, which led to me thinking about how to re-wire things).