1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Multi-stompbox, or individual pedals ???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RockFistMusic, Sep 26, 2010.

1. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

Apr 25, 2008
    JAX FL
    I am not a big pedal guy HOWEVER, as time goes along my Korg DT1 found a friend, Sansamp Bass Di Deluxe (great "metal grind" versus fuzzy distortion), then he found the Hartke Bass Attack (a MUST for heavy rock/metal players IMHO), and then a few of our original songs I switch to bridge pickup and use chorus or flange. I also do some more traditional rock/southern rock with another project as well.

Now, there I have a bunch of individual pedals, patch cables, 9v batteries or a wall bug with tentacles, points of failure etc etc.
    What is the general consensus, should I commit and nail these into a pedal case/board and keep going, or consider a multi-stompbox unit like Line6 M13, or Rocktron Utopia B300...?
    My concern on them, I dont want cheesy sounding effects nor any of my attack or tone getting sucked out.

2. PedalTrain Mini, Dunlop DC Brick, & good patch cables, and yer fine.

3. I love my pedals! I use a 1 spot power supply, and love it.

+1 on good patch cables. You don't have to spend alot, but don't buy the dollar special either! :)

4. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

Apr 25, 2008
    JAX FL
    Thx, those one stop multi-pedal stompboxes are so tempting, everything organized condensed even a great tuner and mute built in, but I am concerned about them sucking the attack, tone, and punch out of my sound (I only sound naive because I have long stayed away from effects)
    If there is one that does NOT kill my sound and actually has some nice higher quality effects I'd seriously consider it - otherwise pedal pedal train etc for me

5. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    +1 to plantspanker's suggestions.

If you're seriously concerned about points of failure for your pedalboard, you should invest in a true bypass looper. Put all of your pedals in the loop. When you hit the stomp switch, the input will be mechanically connected to the output thus bypassing all points of failure.

Except for anything that goes wrong with your instrument or amp or the cables in between.

Edit: Oh, and there is no general consensus as to multi vs. single effects. You can see that on the effect forum stickies -- it's simply a matter of personal preference and there are advantages and disadvantages to each.

6. If you like the pedals you own and they do the job then there's no reason not to throw them on a pedalboard with a power brick and rock on. If you think you might continue the stomp expansion and don't want to have an army of pedals to drag around, the M13 is great. I use it's little brother - the Line 6 M9 along with a fuzz pedal or two and that does it for me. Tons of great options. You can find good dirt on the M9/13, but fuzz is something I intend to use a lot, so I invested there.

The chorus/flanger/phaser options on the M9/13 are excellent. And there is more than just one of each to choose from. Also - the octave down on them is one of the best I've ever used. If you want to read a bit more about what other bass players think of their M9's and 13's stop by our club thread - http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=605933&page=7&highlight=line+m13 - and take a read. A lot of honest talk and review on both there. And everyone is glad to talk more about them. Not necessarily trying to sell you on the M13 so much as make info available to you to help you make your decision.

Cheers and good luck! (And remember - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!)

7. t3ch

t3ch

Nov 17, 2007
    DC
    If you're worried about having failures in cables or pedals, stick a line selector at the beginning of your chain. Line 1 can loop through your pedals, line 2 can go straight to the amp. If your amp has an effects loop you can use that just the same, and have a pedal somewhere at the end of the chain that can mute.

That's what I'm doing anyways... Turn on the pedals I need before the song and have a single master on/off from the pedals.

Going out of your way to worry about these type of failures is kind of pointless. Any equipment can fail; start with quality components and take care of your gear and there will be nothing to worry about.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I think you mean a rocktron utopia b300. secondly, I do have experience with rocktron processors. I currently own a rocktron utopia b100 and I would say that it's different but interesting sounding. it does have a decent variety of unique effects. the distortion channels are a little rough and metallic sounding, but the modulation effects are smooth and lushful. if you're wondering how the rocktron utopia b100 sounds, I have sound samples of it on my soundclick website. here's the link.

www.soundclick.com/crystalman85

Feel free to check out the sound samples. also I do agree that the hartke bass attack pedal is a must have for rock and metal bassists. I'm planning on purchasing one real soon.

9. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

Apr 25, 2008
    JAX FL
    Thanks guys, fixed that typo :(
    Crystalman thanks for that and the clips as well. The B100/300 series are convenient in that they have the built in pedal too. My preference for distortion is metallic/grindy versus buzzy/fuzzy sounding. I have a big muff that can handle that stuff.

thanks again

10. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Two reasons I like pedals... first, I like the fantasy of analog and second, I like to assign each pedal a particular setting (that helps achieve my tone goals) and then leave it so I don't have to think about it or mess with it.

As a result, I'm ending up with a lot of pedals.

:bag:

11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Anytime, dude. as metallic sounding the distortion channels sounds on the rocktron utopia b100, you can get a decent grinding sound from one of the distortion channels once you make a few adjustments on the 3 band eq and the gain level. for grinding distortion sounds, the rocktron processors are not too shabby of a choice. another good choice for grinding distortion sounds would be a pro co turbo rat and a tech 21 xxl bass edition distortion pedal.