Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Multi String Basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Funkize you, May 25, 2004.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Hey, guys.

I was just curious to know what you guys think of Multi String Basses (Basses with more than 4 strings) I my self am a Pretty open minded guy, I really Enjoy Playing my Fretless 4 string, My Lakland 55-01 (five string) and My Peavey Cirrus 6 string bass.

I was just curious about your thoughts on this issue, it was raised at the "Cool" part of the forum (As someone else said) and some guy was bashing anything with more than 4 strings and kept quoting Ron Carter Saying "The Bass is not a Keyboard" and attacking anyone with a 5, 6, 7, or more string bass, and I found this kind of attitude completely repulsive, Mainly because I dont bash player's for only playing on 4 strings or what have you...

Anyways I just wanted some opinions.

(On a side note, Im glad most everyone here is well behaved, over on the "Cool" part of the forum they start slinging poo sometimes!)

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    1. All basses (even those with 4 strings) are multistringed basses. I believe you're talking about extended range basses.

2. I believe you'll get more response to this in the bass guitar forum, not the double bass section.

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I have a 5 string EUB that I made with a 43" scale, the B is monstrous.
    Some day hope to have a DB tuned BEAD.

4. Gary C

Gary C

Mar 16, 2004
    Canton Oh
    Where is the cool side of the forum?

5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well I assumed that Most DB players called these Multi String basses, We at the BG forum Do call them extended range basses and talk about this every 10 min. I wanted to see what you DB players thought about this.

That was the point of putting it here.
    And Dont worry Gary, Im not lost...

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Extended DBs or EBGs?

7. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Any, Not even Concidering DB, How about the 9 string Conklin basses.

Just that I hung out with a Few DB bassist's before and according to them...

"any bass that isnt a DB isnt a bass"
    "More than 4 strings are simply for showing off"
    "Using electric basses is Tacky"
    "Jazz is the Only music there is"

They were pretty snobby, Electric uprights (EDB's?) werent an option, Pickups werent an option, they were next to sin... But then again these were some OLD timers, They could play pretty well, but "Showing off was for guitarists"

8. Snobby people miss out on all the fun! I don't play basses with more than four strings only because I'm too lazy to get used to 'em!

And while jazz is certainly wonderful music, it isn't the only kind of music suited to an URB! I play blues, country, bluegrass, zydeco and folk on mine, as well as jazz standards.

Let me also put in a plug for Engelhardt basses. They're Kays by another name (name changed in '68 or so, basses didn't), and while they aren't carved Juzeks, they're rugged, reliable, and gigworthy. And they can be excellent values. I recently bought my slightly used EC-1 for $850 (and put another $250 into a bridge, strings and pickup/preamp). It came with a bag, bow and stand (and lousy Fishman pickup which I just sold).

Since I bought it, I keep getting calls for gigs!

Cheers, Tim

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    OK. Well, I don't even own a four strings bass guitar. I have grown quite used to 5-strings and they work really well for what I do.

I like the idea of a 5-string DB, but a good one is a rare and expensive find.

Buy whatever you can responsibly afford and use it how you choose. Allow everyone else the same privilege.

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    My primary DB is a 5 stringer and I find it very useful for some repetoire. I have to say I rarely venture into that range when playing Jazz though..don't know why really.

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've seen five string DBs... has the number of strings been pushed any further on the upright, particularly in standard production models (six strings basses, while not exactly two a penny, are certainly not the novelties they would have been ten - fifteen years ago in the exciting world of BG :D ).

Mind you, from what I know of the cost of DB strings, I imagine that alone could be an offputting factor!

Wulf

12. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    No, I have only seen 5 string DB's, They look nice, but I can only imagine how hard it would be to craft a 5 string DB just right.

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Ratzo Harris plays 6 string double bass.

14. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I used to play guitar in a class with my now current bass teacher. I'll never forget him saying, "I don't see how you guys can play those things. I have a hard enough time with just 4 strings." He graduated from Manne's Conservatory, spent 16 years playing in the NY scene, and studied at Berkelee and privately with Buster Williams and Kenny Barron.

That comment stuck with me and was what really opened me up to playing bass. Considering too that my musical life has been nothing but simplification. I went from piano (10 fingers), to guitar (6 strings), to bass now, all in an effort to simplify things so that I can focus on expressing myself with LESS notes. I find 4 strings just right. I think Ron Carter also said that you should be able to express yourself in one position (half position) because all the notes you need are there. I only see usefulness in having 5 strings to play those hard/fast bebop heads like Donna Lee or something. Otherwise, that extra string is too much for me to think about.

However, our own Paul Warburton sounds pretty damn fine on his 5 stringer. That low B is a neat sound.

15. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sometimes, when I'm playing slab, I get sick of the sound of the G string, and I have to conciously force myself to stay low. I've actually considered doing what Tony Levin did, and get a three string slab. But I play it so seldom, I can't bring myself to spend any $$$ on the electric stuff.

16. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    You sould try a low B with a bow, it makes your brain shake :D

17. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh man, my noggin already makes sympathetic vibrations while listening to PALE WARTBUTTOCKS fine recordings on the TBDB sampler. My head would prob explode from the resonance if I did your suggestion. :)

18. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    [cackling] evilly :D

19. Usually when someone brings up the five string double bass, I have to come to my own rescue with the exception of my buddy Bob Branstetter....But not so this time....thanks alot hdiddy...how refrefreshing to know I have two friends!
    If you're really curious you can not only hear my 1888 Joseph Bohmann as hdiddy says on the Sampler, but you can see it under basses on John Sprague and Shen's The TalkBasses.

20. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    No thanks neccessary Paul, your playing, Bohmann Bass (1888??? No wonder it looks so gothic!) speak for themselves, not to mention all the great advice and juicy tid-bits in other threads (like that one about Chet Baker). T'aint nuttin.

I do have to admit after hearing that Low B, it makes me think twice about playing one in the future. Although I'm curious about using a high C instead... I know that isn't common but is there someone out there that does that type of thing? I would think it would make solos alot easier.