Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Multi-string pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fishnuggets, Mar 30, 2005.

1. fishnuggets

fishnuggets

Sep 18, 2003
    Kent, WA
    I was wondering if y'all knew where to pick up pickups for multi-stringed basses?

I just purchased an 8 string (in-line) and would like to replace the pickups in it and I have no clue where to get replacements online or elsewhere.

A google search sent me to every site that had 8 stings that are side by side, not in-line.

I have a seven string with Bartolini's in it and have grown to enjoy that sound. Their website says nothing aboot mulit-stringed pickups, neither does Conklin.

Any ideas?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

It's been my experience dropping various 4 string pups into a the same bass that as long as the strings are within the magnetic field of the pup it doesn't matter if the strings line up with the poles or not. Small 4 pole (as opposed to bi-pole) pups present a problem cause the string volume will drop when the strings are bent out of the strength of the field.

Ken Smith J45's in a 4 string sit directly over the pole, in a 5 string they run between the poles (or is the other way around - whatever). I'd bet that as long as the pup was long enough to keep the perimeter strings from being bent out of the magnetic field, you'll be good to go.

Also some pups have bar or blade type magnets. Since you like the Barts, I'd call Bart and ask. Some of their pups are 4 1/2 inches long.