Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Multi track

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Candiria, Feb 11, 2002.

1. me and my friends are starting to play some things and want to record to get an idea of what everythign sounds like together...what kind of recording tool would you guys reccommend? Thanks

2. Depends on what you have already and what your budget is. The cheapest way is a boom box. Next step up is a 4 track recorder, either cassette or digital. If you have a decent mic and a mixer already, then you can just plug a 4 track into the mixer's direct outs (or auxes, or busses, or inserts, etc...). Or rent some type of multi-tracker. If you've got a little more cash to spend, one of those all-in-one mixer/recorders could be useful. Do any of you have a PC that you can add a decent soundcard to? That's a pretty versatile option as well.

What is it you want to do, exactly?

3. we have a couple songs and want to record them so we can actually hear them and have them on a tape..i was thinking some kind of 4 track recorder

4. What do you guys play(instruments)? Will you need to mic anything or can you just use your amps? Drums? tell us what you have and we can probably create an efficient recording setup that will get the job done.

FAQs similiar to this one might help.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    4 Tracks can record as many tracks as you want, but it's difficult to do, and annoying. :)

6. you can always do what my old band did ( this has to be the biggest waste of time and the worst sound quality)

Get a camcorder, place the camcorder equal distance away from everyone, or where ever is the most balanced. ok now record you guys playing. after you done, pop it in the vcr. press play if you like it rewind it. take a rca cable from the adio out on ur vcr or camcorder, and hook the other end up to a stereo press play on the camcorder or vcr and press record on the stereo.

The sound quality it not very good but most people own camcorders (or can borrow one), and stereos.