1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Multichannel footswitch-able amp heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mambo4, Nov 17, 2006.

1. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I currently use a Sans Amp Programmable DI pedal with an SWR Working man's 15 combo amp.

I like to use the Sands amp to switch between 3 sounds:
    1:clean
    2:fat reggae bass boost
    3: overdrvien rawk bass

I am planning on upgrading to a Sans Amp -> lightweight power Amp-> 4x10 set-up.

I have seen a few posts on talkbass about using a footswitch to change up tones with a Gk 2001RB, and I wonder if there are other quality amp heads that have multi channel footswitch capabilities. Especially one that allows for switching between 3 different in mid song.

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Another option would be a pre/power setup, with a footswitchable preamp.

That's what I'm using, essentially.

Why not just keep the Sansamp Programmable BDDI in front of whatever head you get? That's the easiest, cheapest solution, right there!

3. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I am essentially planning on keeping the sans amp.

but elswhere some have suggested dissatisfaction with the Sans Amp tone esp. lack of mid control. I do boost the low mids on my SWR...so I am wondering if there is a worthwhile bass head with the same multi-tone capacity.

it would be 1 less peice of equipment:)

4. The only head I know that will do all three things you want from the footswitch controller is the Mesa Basis2000.

It has a tube and FET channel, and an overdrive control. You can switch between various different settings.... massive switching capability... separate channels, distortion, graphic EQ in or out, channels combined... quite overwhelming.

It's a killer sounding head.... a LOUD 600 watts into 4ohms. You see them used quite a bit... there was one earlier this week on the Bass Central site.

The Aguilar500 has a distortion and clean channel, but I'm not sure of the switching capabilities on that one.

The new Eden1205 has two footswitchable channels, as does the Epi502... but they are not set up for distortion at all.

5. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    the Mesa basis looks amazing!

i will have to research this more.

6. bassman blue

bassman blue

Aug 22, 2002
    Bellingham
    unless i'm misunderstanding your needs, the Genz Benz GBE 600, 750 or 1200 amps will do that too. you could dial up the tube pre for your desired distortion (footswitchable), footswitch it off and footswitch on the fet channel for a clean sound and then hit the footswitch to engage the global bass boost channel for your fat reggae tone.

7. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Genz-Benz looks pretty fabulous too. I haven't heard of them before.

Some others suggested the SWR SM 900...but I can't find if it has 3 swithcable settings, it looks like only 2.

Is any of the Euphonics Audio iAmp series switchable?

8. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Use a good, clean 1 channel amp, get a good bass tube dirt pedal (mmm... Soldano). Then, get your reggae tone by turning down the tone of your passive bass and changing your technique to fit what you're playing.

Makes more sense than messing round with channel switching, 1000 button, gizmo heads. You're tone would probably be much better.

Also, boosting a ton of bass for reggae isn't necessarily the best way toward approaching getting that tone.

9. The Genz Benz 750 or 1200 could do the trick... the 600 is a different front end.

The SWR only has a switchable EQ section.

Of course, per the post above, you could do what you want with good quality pedal effects and any decent head. However, I was taking your thread literally.... only posting heads that could do all three of what you wanted 'on board'.

Good luck with your search.

Edit: iAmps are single channel. The do have a 'mini' coming out very similar to the Eden260 (I think it's the same power section)... it has two channels, but none of the other characteristics you are looking for.

10. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    thanks again for the suggestions.

iguess the thing I'm enjoying about the PDDI is the ability to switch up my bass tone on the fly -like a stomp box- but still have a definate bass guitar tone.

I get what yr sayin about boosting bass for reggae, its not really for reggae just a description of the tone.

I do adjust my technique for different Fx, but a stomp box can do things to the tine my fingers cant..

11. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    How aboput the other extreme of amp heads with bells and whistles, like the SWR Mo Bass....?
    what other full one FX monsters are out there?

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    ahhh,,

i LOVE being able to channel switch. :cool: both my aguilar ag500 and my old epifani ul502 were great for this.

w/ my epi, i'd usually use the top channel for a more relaxed sound ala the midcut would be on, and just a little bass boost. then when it came time for the chorus, i'd flip off the midboost, so my sound becomes more present in the mix w/ the added midrange. then when its time for the raucous outro, i'd flip to the more aggressively EQ'd 2nd channel for a punchtastic sound!

seriously, once you've gone multichannel, its nearly impossible to go back.

the only niggle i dont like about these two heads, is that there's a slight millisecond delay when going from one channel to the other. happens w/ the ag500 and the ul502. not as instantaneous as w/ a dedicated overdrive box, etc. as long as i can sorta "plan ahead", i can pull it off. but the delay can be annoying.

but IMHO, another idea would be to use EQ boxes? on the amp set it for a regular workable sound that'll cover most of your needs, then use the EQ pedal to alter that sound for whatever songs, etc.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020