Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Multieffects for bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hvingsand, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Hi! I'm new here :help: , so sorry if this kind of thread has been posted millions of times :meh:

I'm looking for a muliteffect pedal for my bass. I play mostly rock/punk (like weezer, ash, jimmy eat world, muse, green day) so I don't really need great fretless/synth/slaping. (but it would be nice with a little extra, though :smug: )

I don't have much money to spend on it, so I'm looking for something for a nice price.

What are your experiences, gentlemen? Could someone recommend some great multiboards? I'd like good distortion/overdrive, and that sound chris wolstenholme (in muse) uses for songs like "time is running out"...

How about these: Boss GT-6B, Boss ME-50B, DigiTech BP200, DigiTech BNX3.......?

I'd really appreciate any experience or advice :)
    Thank you!

2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Hi and Welcome to Talkbass!

FYI, the "search" function works like a charm. I'm not trying to be rude, but this subject has been pulverized to death...If you do a search you'll find all the answers you need.

Good luck!

PS: Here's a vote for the Boss ME-50B ;)

3. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    if u just need effects, the Boss ME-50B is awesome
    if u also need amp modeling, the Boss GT-6B is the one

the digitech stuff, u will notice is alot cheaper. for practicing and trying out effects for the first time, the digitech stuff is good.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've heard good things about the Boss ME-8B, in which if you can find for around $100, i'm considerin lookin into that...

5. I own a Digitech BP200...blech.

The distortion is horrid. The wah doesn't come through on the lower strings. I play a style very similar to yours and I regret buying it, to put it simply. Frankly, multi-effect processors usually aren't great, compared to singles. But much cheaper.

Oh and the whammy...I won't get started on the Digitech's whammy.

The only decent effect on the thing is the phaser/flanger. And the delay. lol.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    one more vote for the ME-50B.

But you don't say what your budget is, so at $300 new it might not fit you

7. My budget is not very limited. But 300$ sounds ok. I wouldn't go much longer, but I could deal with 300$...

You can store the sounds on each pedal on the ME-50B? Right? I tried the DigiTech BP200 for a while, but I think it's bothersome to change sound by pressing the up/down pedal X times.... doesn't sound great if you're playing...

How about the ME-8B? "Minger" mentioned it...
    How does this sound compared to the ME-50B? I know it's bigger (and looks cooler :hyper: ) but how does it sound?

Again, thank you for all helping info :bassist:

8. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Ok, let's talk about this once again (I'm getting things thrown every time I recomend the old ME-8B over the GT-6B/ME-50B). I had the ME-8B for a couple of years and I "upgraded" to a GT-6B. Had it for almost a year and during this time I had a borrowed ME-50B for little more than a month. Finally, last november I got to find an affordable ME-8B in good condition and switched back to it and sold the GT-6B. Couldn't be happier!

Good things about the GT-6B/ME-8B come with control capabilities through the CTL and expression pedals. When it comes to sounds, things get really bad (comparing with the ME-8B -WAY better sounding IMHO!-). Let's discuss this module by module:

EQ
    Nice fully parametric 3-band on the GT-6B but poor 3-band (just semi-parametric mids) on the ME-50B. ME-8B stands in the middle with semi-parametric mids and highs.

COMP/ENHANCER
    Only usable model for me on both GT-6B/ME-50B is the Boss Comp, which is the one that comes in the ME-8B, others are rather poor, so no gain at all! ENhancer is ugly on any of them. If you need an ENHANCER, buy a Sonic Maximizer!

DIST/DRIVE
    Only usable model for me on both GT-6B/ME-50B is the Bass Overdrive, which also comes in the ME-8B, once again, no gain!

CHORUS/FLANGER/PHASER/HUMANIZER/DELAY/REVERB
    These are the most "digitally easy" effects so, no problem in any of them. The ME-8B doesn't have a phaser (although you can achieve a rather similar effect with the humanizer). By the way, the GT-6B's humanizer was the only way I found to have a barely decent t-wah (see further).

DEFRETTER/RING MOD/OTHER STUPID EFFECTS
    Never used such things, I consider them absolutely useless for bass. They keep including such crap just to say "we put 50 effects on this device" instead of saying "we put 10 USABLE effects, but you won't find better ones anywhere".

HARMONIZER/PITCH BEND
    ME-8B/ME-50B don't have a harmonizer. The one in the GT-6B is rather decent. Pitch bend on any of them is light years away from a Digitech Bass Whammy, of course.

FILTER/SYNTH/WAH
    This is where the GT-6B/ME-50B really suck! YOU CANNOT MIX WAHED WITH DRY SIGNAL, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???? It's like using a crappy dirty Cry Baby Bass wah (which I owned and hated very much). On the ME-8B it works more like an envelope filter/follower, with more parameters than you find in a Lovetone Meatball! And of course, with separate dry and wet volumes! Synths suck even more! Digital modes (2) are unusable because of tracking. And don't tell me that if I use the bridge pickup I can achieve good tracking. This can't be done live. What am I supposed to do when I stop using it to recover my clean bass sound? No way! UNUSABLE! Analog modes (2) are crap too, no Sir Psycho Sexy kind of sounds, no Jamiroquai sounds, nothing at all, just some rumorous dumb, almost humming "synth". ME-8B has 4 digital (all of which track WAY better than the ones on the GT-6B/ME-50B) + 5 analog modes ALL OF THEM USABLE!

Ok then, let's see. Can't Boss understand how bad GT-6B/ME-50B sound compared to their predecessor? Don't they see this back step they made in terms of sound and effects' quality? Are they deaf? They released the SYB-5 pedal with the same faults! Cant they just put the synth/wah part of the ME-8B in a pedal? Did they lose the schematics? If so, they better get a ME-8B used and reverse engineer it and try to give us a better product. This makes me absolutely mad. Even more given that Boss' customer service sucks (or doesn't even exist). They don't answer any mails! They decided to be innovative and put their manuals (which also are mere jokes -also suffered this with a Roland GrooveBox D2, so I'm getting used to Roland/Boss' attempts of manuals-) on their website 2 months ago (5 YEARS TOO LATE GUYS, COULD YOU SUCK MORE?!?!). They don't care nor ever listen to us users! I know Zoom or Digitech or DOD make way cheaper/lower quality pieces of gear, but they care about us, answer or requests and try to keep informed of what we need. In this respect, BOSS DOESN'T! You don't imagine how pissed off I am at them!

Get a used ME-8B in good shape! Don't get fooled by metal housing and cool colors! You need good sounds and THEY DON'T SOUND GOOD!

ANDRUCA

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    One more thing, the GT-6B and ME-50B include all these knobs 'cause they're intended to be more easily adjustable "on the fly". Well, guess what?... THEY'RE NOT! My band mates used to say every time I bended to adjust anything: "Oh my god! Pro Tools lost its configuration again!". So figure out how "easier" it is to tweak!

ANDRUCA

10. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Listen to Andruca on this one. he is spot on about the synths.
    standard modulation effects and compressors.

However I find the other "useless effects" to be part of the gt6's charm opening up a whole world of lo-fi bleeps and semi- controllable (on a good day!) sweeps, squeals and warbles-
    But really aren't of too much use in a conventional bass playing sense

the slow gear kicks ass-
    But With hindsight I'd have hunted around for an Me8b instead.

11. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm not sure how much "not a lot of money" is since it's all relative, but I'd agree the ME-50B is the front-runner, but in the <$75 range, I've used the BOSS 506II and it's not a bad little unit. 36 customizable presets, and even a bank that you can save 'em!

12. My opinion is dont waste your money on Multi f/x for your style of music, songs. I play the same sort of stuff and some heavier stuff and to be honest 90% of multi f/x sounds would not help you get that tone etc etc.Maybe Muse being the exception perhaps.

I would look at getting a pedal for overdrive, distortion and or octaver.

Things like flangers, phasers, chorus delays etc etc will be lost in heavy guitar type songs, but your bass will love the extra angry sound to beef things up a bit.

Im about to add the MXR-m80 and SABDDI to my choice of weapons and then into amp.I ve wasted loads on Boss gear like GE7B. LMB3, BOSS BF3 FLANGER,BOSS ODB3, BOSS CEB3 CHORUS,BOSS ME50B, APHEX BASS EXCITER, APHEX PUNCH FACTORY. and not one of them ever made me feel that it was just what my amp needed.
    Maybe the exception was the Aphex pedals they did work well but i found i could get nearly same with eq tweeking and better technique.

Look at what those guys use themselves live ( live not studio ) and try that as a starting point but take it from me even the best multi f/x for the money (Boss ME50B ) isnt adding alot of useful live performance sounds for the bands you are playing.

13. +1

Muse has that raw sound that doesn't require very nice equipment. :p
    But I still love em.

14. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Ok, let's see, maybe I wasn't too specific about this. I use my multieffects for effects alone, and have my racked preamp/power setup consisting of SansAmp RBI+Compressor+EQ+Power amp. I DON'T look for good compressor/EQ/overdrive in a multieffects. Those are the "preamp" kind of things (and let's be serius, they don't come really nice ones on pedalboards). But I DO look for good chorus/flanger/phaser/octaver/synth/wah, effects I use and in this case, the ME-8B can deliver them at very nice quality, easily compared with most single stompboxes. Having this and my "preamp" section I WON'T ever use single pedals 'cause they're simply annoying to deal with live (I only consider "one touch" operation for live use, don't like to go jumping on pedals like a tapping dancer to change from sound A to sound B).

Regards.

ANDRUCA

15. ok... I still appreciate every tip here! Thanks! :)

Now I've ordered a "big muff pi russian", used. I know Chris Wolstenholme uses (or at least used) this. But I also know I still need some pedals to get his sound... :crying:

I've become more interested in buying multiple single pedals, but still there are two major negative factors:
    1) It cost's a lot more.
    2) Just like Andruca said... I would like to step on one single button to change the sound. If I mix and store each sound on a multieffect board, I could easily find it when performing live. If I have to step on a few pedals, turning some knobs, etc. - I think I'd be lost very easy.

I've never used effects for my bass, so I lack the experience, though... :help:

16. This is my whole poiint, most multi f/x are great at home but live they just seem to be a let done in tone and sounds.

How many gigging pro musicians use multi f/x ??

I cant think of many if any at all so i would stick to the single pedal route.

Also multi f/x should always go ( mostly ) front of amp as they have built it pre amps. They generally screw your sound of your amp as they arnt true by pass, although saying that the Boss ME50B didnt change the amp tone much.

Beware the modelling multi f/x pod, GT6B etc as they will be a waste of money unless you want to dump your amp and go into a studio or mixer.

Look at what the pros use live, SABDDI, MXR-80 etc etc and try that sort of thing first.

17. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I'm pretty sure you've got this just backwards. Once you learn what your single effects do, it will be much easier to adjust on the fly. If you want to tweak on-stage, the multi is hopeless. And you have to remember which is which.

18. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    I know some pro's use line 6 stuff, like thier rack effects and their floor multi's like the DL-4. And that Lexicon stuff, which I'm not too familiar with.

As far as BASS tho, can't really think of anyone heh.

19. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Lawson uses one of the Boss multis.

20. Exactly now look how many use single Boss, Fultone, Tech 21, MXR, etc etc, i rest my case !!