1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Multieffects unit for guitar and bass - stompbox mode

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wojcik0602, Mar 27, 2015.

1. wojcik0602

wojcik0602

Mar 27, 2015
    Hi!

I'm looking for cheap multieffect which can sound good with both instruments - guitar and bass. I'm not going to use amp simulations live. Just stomps simualtions - it's called a stompbox mode and that's the way i'm gonna use it.

My experience is that generally bass effects can sound good with guitar, but quite rarely guitar effects sound good with bass guitar ;) That's why i'm considering Zoom B3. Anyone used it with guitar? There are plenty of samples with bass, but couldn't find any with electric guitar. It has a simulations of many effects that are often used with guitar, like Fuzz Face, Tubescreamer, Big Muff, those modulation effects and delays should work too i think

Also some people say that Line6 M9 is OK, but also some people say that most simulations sound bad with guitar.

I play Vox ac15 and Fender Stratocaster.

Thanks for help and hopefully my english is comprehensible :)

2. Joeynone

Joeynone www.facethekingband.com Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Honestly the m9 is excellent with guitar and bass... Or the fractal fx8 looks interesting but it's real pricey

3. I will try to spend some B3/guitar time this weekend to see. Will say it does work great on piccolo bass.

4. wojcik0602

wojcik0602

Mar 27, 2015
    I saw a video of M9 with bass on YT. Sounded okay to my ears, though it may depend on the amp. Yeah, Fractal FX8 is pretty expensive, i have around $300 to spend.

Ok! Please let me know how B3 works with guitar ;)

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I've actually tried my zoom b3 with my 7-string guitar and it sounded pretty cool. using the marshall super bass amp model with a boss metal zone model can give you a melodic death metal sound. and using the gk 800rb model with either the metal zone or proco rat model can give you a randall guitar amp sound(think dimebag darrell). if you happen to own one, give these patch ideas a shot. I even posted them on the zoom b3 patch ideas thread. come visit the thread if you needed some nifty patch ideas for bass.

Zoom b3 patch Ideas | TalkBass.com

6. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Had the M9 for a few months, not really my thing. Just didn't really like the sounds or how it reacted to playing, stacking various effects, etc. Don't know how the Zoom compares.

7. Most bass effects work really well on guitar regardless of being analogue, digital or Multi. Unfortunately it's not often that great the other way around. A lot of guitar pedals have a strong mid spike and heavy bass cut, which rarely works well for bass. Most multi-effects are digital models of analogue pedals, so if a guitar model of a tube screamer is emulated it'll have a heavy bass cut because that's what the original pedal does. Wah Wah,s and auto wahs tend to be voice differently for bass or guitar too. Octavers, chorus, delays and verbs tend to be very cross compatible, although most guitarists use chorus settings which sound bad on bass...and on bass we tend to use quite subtle chorus which would get lost on a guitar.

8. wojcik0602

wojcik0602

Mar 27, 2015
    I have the same experience with analogue pedals, though no experience with multi's ;)

Hm, death metal is not really my thing, i'm more into rock and r&b music, so i don't need that much bottom end i think. Thanks for sharing the thread, i have to go throught many pages of it, but hopefully i'll find something useful over there ;)

Crystalman85 likes this.
  9. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    I've used my Zoom B3 with a guitar and found the distortions that sound great on bass weren't so hot for guitar. I later bought a G3 and am quite happy with it. Even better is that I can use the same expression pedal with both of them.

10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Anytime, dude. If it's classic rock you're into, you could try using the marshall superbass amp model with the boss ds-1 to get that kind of sound. or if you don't want that much distortion, try using the tube screamer model for a not so heavy kind of rock sound. and as always, visit the zoom b3 patch ideas thread for if you needed a nifty patch idea to use for your bass.

11. After a day of guitar and piccolo bass overdubs it can be said that the B3 delivers tasty tones and effects. Imo the B3 rivals my other gtr multi the AdrenaLinn III.

12. There's a lot to like on the Zoom B3. Unfortunately, the grit isn't one of them. I wasn't that trilled with any of the grit options and I tried them all including the various amp models. So I went for analogue grit pedals instead. The only digital / multi grit I've seen or heard which is good is the Source Audio Bass OFD. All the rest fall into the "pants" category (or "smelly underwear" if you are stateside).

13. While I agree that my analog fuzzes are more organic & better sounding, my needs are more pragmatic so am willling to trade a bit of perfection for portability and recall.