1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Multiple Active Electronics with Active/Passive

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Will_White, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
  2. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    I'd have a good think about your volume pot. If before the distortion (as pictured) the amount of fuzz will change as you turn it down. This may or may not be what you want. I'd think the control on the distortion unit would be for that so losing your vol and getting a second fuzz control may be a bit redundant. Most distortion pedals will have their volume pot on the output. The trouble with this for you is that it should be a 10k-25k pot, and that's no good when you switch to passive. (There is a way around this though, with a dual gang pot that has two different values. Either a modded pot, or possibly a fender part for a Reggie Hamilton sig.)

The output of the fuzz circuit may also overdrive the preamp. Again, this may or may not be what you want, but you may need an attenuator between the two boards.

Will_White likes this.
  3. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I didn't think of that. The distortion control is a 5 position switch with 4 different levels of distortion each with a slightly different EQ, so the volume might be useful. I'll have to experiment with it out of the bass to see how it works. It's not a huge loss if I end up having to leave off a passive volume. The active/ passive switch is pretty much only for emergencies and my main bass only has tone knob and a kill switch so I could just put one of those on a push/pull, that would free up a hole that I could use for a midrange control as well.

I don't think the distortion will end up overdriving the pre-amp. From the videos I've seen, it doesn't boost the output that much, but they've also all been guitars into tube amps so natural compression could be masking it.

Other then the volume knob, does the active/passive switching look right?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  4. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    Well in that case, it might be nice to have the pre-distortion vol pot work as a gain control. If you have a spare hole, perhaps a 10k-25k vol pot, placed between the distortion and the preamp will be a handy addition. A way to balance the fuzz with the input vol ("gain") pot, and also control the signal level into the pre.

Good plan.

Yep.

Will_White likes this.