Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Multiple AMP setup Ohm question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by unatratnag, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Saw questions before on this, but didn't find on on ohms. Since i've never tried it before I figure I'd ask before I blew something up:

I was going to hook bass up to input of amp 1.
    Have amp 1 effects out to effects return of amp 2.
    Then have a cab hooked up to each amp.

Both cabs are 4ohms by themselves. Will there still be a 4 ohm total load after this setup or due to physics does it come down to a 2ohm load?

I also assume when hooking up the effects out to effects in since it's still just a regular signal I can just use a regular instrument cable no issue as well.

And while i'm at it, when i was doing searches i'd find references to "clean signal" and "wet signal". I assume "clean signal" is the unaffected unpowered signal coming from the bass. What's a "wet signal'?

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    No problems as long as you run each head no lower than its rated load. Really no difference than using each separately since you haven't changed anything at the power-out/speaker-in part of the signal chain.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Properly used, a wet signal is what's coming off an effect - such as reverb, delay, chorus, etc - though most effects allow you to work with the mix of wet-to-dry internally.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The power amp section of each amp head will operate independently...the load on one amp doesn't affect the other amp, they're only interconnected at the preamp level.

So, in your situation, each amp sees a "4 ohm" load.