Multiple bands on same booking?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JazzBassJukin, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Is this the norm nowdays? I visited some old bandmates in Atlanta several years ago and they were on the same ticket as 4 other bands. Had an hour to setup, play, and tear down (using house PA). They had one incredible set put together but that was about all. From reading other posts it looks like multiple bookings is more common than I would imagine.
    I personally love those 3-5 set nites- playing til you're dead tired.
  2. Bands of our level (independent, unsigned, with a pretty small following) out here in el lay always book shows that have other bands. We have to rush to get set up and to leave, but we get to hear a lot of bands, some good and some not so good.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

In the Dallas area, original bands always play on a bill with other bands. Cover bands usually do the marathon thing with 3-5 sets over 2 - 5 hours.
  4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I play in a cover band, and we never play club gigs with other bands. The only time we play with other bands are at special events like festivals, carnivals, rodeos (yes, we have rodeos in Hawaii!), etc. I really hate playing those gigs because we go to all the trouble to drive there, fight the crowds, and setup (usually in a hurry), then we only get to play for 1 hour, and then we are just starting to have fun and its time to quit. They do pay better than club gigs though.
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Only about 25% of our shows are with others. I don't really enjoy that. Sometimes the guys in other bands are a-holes. Especially when they are playing after you. They think they are headliners just because of the timing. So they show up when you are getting set up and tell you you have to move your ring to the other side of the stage or something ridiculous. Then you go up and blow them away and take the crowd with you when you leave. When we go on after another act, we always support them during their set and hand out with them and bs if we have time.
  6. Since I'm not in a cover band playing to a bunch of 30 something people who want to hear Matchbox 20 songs, the only way I'll be able to get gigs is by playing with other bands. Unfortunately, alot of the other bands around here are nu-metal, which doesn't fit in with my bands style of music at all.
  7. Heres a good 1 for u. my gtr player decided to lie to the rest of the band and tell us that this town in another state heard our cover/originals tape and really wanted us to play for some community outing. The problem was that we had this big biker party to do from 8 to 2 on the same day. the town gig was from 7 to 11. He talked to guy incharge & he changed the time to 5 to 9. We got another band to play from 7 to 10 and we would split the dough. we set up the PA the biker party ealier that day, drove an hour away started playing, was asked to turn it down. then after an hour was asked to leave. we got the full amount of money. drove back another hour got onstage about 830 and played to 330am. with a 2 hour break while my girlfriends sons(16) band played an hour, and the band played an hour.(they wasnt even supposed to be there.Come to find out the town thought we were a country band and the guy in charge didnt even hear the tape. Hows that for a Sat. evening?
  8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've also noticed that trend. Regular bar room bands actually get other bands to play a set or two and "Open" for the "headlining act".

I agree with Zulu though, most of the guys in other bands I've met are always cool and are always willing to just chill out and give me and my band advice, tell stories, ect. But sometimes I've seen bands/band members who are a little up on theirselves just because they are more well known than the other bands on the bill, have nicer equipment, ect.

That ticks me off, it's not like the a superstars (not that they should act that way if they were anyway) when their band breaks up and no ones really going to remember who they are. (and I don't expect anybody to remember who we are) Okay, I'm starting to get off on a tangent. :D