1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Multiple Basses/backup basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klaymaster, Dec 22, 2016.

1. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    I have two basses and I was considering getting a third when this question came to me: Should I get something I know I will like or something different from what I have?
    For those of your with two or more basses: do you have basses that will cover different styles of music and sound quite a bit different than each other, or do you have multiple basses that are similar, but you know the sound and just want a backup?

I guess to break it down further for example, I have a 4 string Sterling by Music Man S.U.B. Ray4 and a Schecter Diamond P Custom.
    I'm happy to have a P bass style bass and a Stingray style bass to use at different times.

2. RHA III

RHA III

Jul 22, 2012
    OR
    get a jazz bass

3. I buy different basses for their different sounds. Even the duplicates don't sound the same (e.g., 60s vs. 70s P-basses).

lowdownthump and JCooper like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Unless you actually making money and are expected to have a certain sound, your back up need not be the same as your main bass. All of my basses are different, and I like having really diverse sounding basses.

Andre678, Rocker47, Mike N and 3 others like this.
  5. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Since I only play sub-short scale (less than 25"), I modify basses to look like full size commercial basses, so for me it's about looking different from each other, most are based on the same bass uke model.

6. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    Yeah my next is probably going to be a two humbucker bass or jazz style

7. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    I have 2 basses, and they're exactly the same, even down to the colour (and mods). No. 2's not only a backup, it also covers a different tuning when required.

8. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Funny, I was just thinking about this question yesterday. Right now all my basses are essentially unique; none of them are just "backups", they all serve a distinctive purpose in my timbral palette.

I mean, I do own two fretted 4-string basses, so in theory either could serve as a backup to the other. And my fretted 5-string could easily serve as backup to either of the 4s.

But I realized the bass I play the most, the one I've gravitated to for the past 30 years, the one that allows me to best express my individual voice (when I'm hired for Who I Am rather than just as a "bass player") is a fretted 6-string
    ...and I don't have any other instruments that can really serve as a backup to that bass.

Now, if that bass never gets lost or stolen or explodes spontaneously, I'm cool; I don't need another 6-string just to satisfy GAS.

But sh*t happens. Maybe I do need a backup?

9. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    I own 6 basses right now and none of them sound the same as the others. Three of them are J's and three of them are P's.

The J's:
    Deluxe Active MIM with Am. Std. CS pickups.
    Squier VM with SD Quarter Pounds and flats.
    American Standard.

The P's:
    American Series with Lindy Fralin pickup.
    MIM with SD SPB-1 pickup.
    Squier Telecaster Bass.

As you can see, all of them have different pickups, strings, etc. So I get a unique set of sounds and colors with each one of them. I don't think of it as I have backup basses, I use each one of them for different styles or simply because I feel like grabbing one better than the other on a certain day.

I say you get a Jazz. But if you want a double humbucker get a Warwick Corvette $$ (Rockbass if you're in a budget), I had one of those and they are killers. Sold it because of my Fender addiction.

Cheers.

osonu likes this.
  10. I have three and they're all different.
    70-71 Precision
    1986 Aria Black and Gold II
    2015 Squier VM '77 Jazz
    I'm in a gigging cover band and I'm the only one that hears the differences. I'll bring two to gigs, usually the P and one other, and switch between sets if I switch. Having said that, I just like having the different options and with those three have pretty much everything I want covered.

11. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I have 3 different. Two of them are similar, but still different, while the 3rd is a beast.

1. Sire M7
    2. Sire V7 5 White
    3. Sire VV7 Red
    M7-5ST-ASH-TBK-1-1-1. sire. sire_v7_vintage.

G RICH 5 and Helix like this.
  12. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    <--- One of mine always seems to be on the workbench (I like to tinker). This way, there's no rush to get it back in action.
    Always have a Plan B!

dabbler likes this.
  13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I have a passive five string Squier P and an active five string Squier J (both with rounds) for backups.... I can make either fit any situation if I really need it.

My other main Basses are-

MIA P with rounds, tuned EADG
    MIA P with flats, also EADG
    SX P with flats, tuned to 432hz
    Fretless SX P with flats, EADG
    SX J with flats, tuned BEAD (the one I'm playing in my avatar)

Right now the MIA with flats and the fretless are seeing the most action.

Helix likes this.
  14. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Little of both for me.... I just like the look and sound of both Jazz & P-Basses, so I have 3 of each. 1 of each has flats, the others have rounds. I also have an Ibanez with Tapes just for a different sound and feel.

Helix likes this.
  15. Gnal

Gnal

Apr 22, 2014
    For my main basses I've got duplicates, to string with rounds and flats. They play a backup role of sorts but not really since the strings are different.

2x active J-style 5 strings.

2x passive P clones.

G RICH 5 likes this.
  16. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I have four bass guitars, each with a distinctive sound. I use them according to which one I feel works for the job. They all work pretty well for all my gigs, though.

17. fghtffyrdmns

fghtffyrdmns

Oct 22, 2012
    I have three very different basses:

1) Fender American Deluxe Jazz (my go-to bass)
    2) 1967 Aria Diamond hollowbody (strung with flats, naturally)
    3) Squier Mikey Way Mustang

I'll generally always have the first two with me when I'm playing shows, and will switch depending on the song. Haven't played a show since I've owned the Mustang, but I think I can sub out the hollowbody.

18. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    83 L2000 with rounds - crazy high output, very dark - good for od
    94 LB100 with rounds - kinda like a more subdued classic rock and roll version of the L2k (used as the backup)
    2011 Sb-2 with flats - sweet modern active gospel or vintage od type tones (not used as a backup)

19. Mine are all different, but I always bring a backup to gigs.
    Keep in mind that to 90% of people, a bass guitar sounds like..... a bass guitar. They don't notice the differences that we obsess over.

sgtpepper likes this.
  20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I like the looks of that M7...

jlepre likes this.