1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Multiple Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by newmusicmichael, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Well, I thought I was going to have more time to think about this, but my wife surprised me on my birthday yesterday with the Ibanez SR300 I've had my eye on for a few months.

Which means my starter Squier P-Bass is now excess, so I'm thinking about selling it to buy a pedal or something. But I know quite a few of you have multiple bass guitars, so I was wondering if there were practical reasons why ???

2. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

Aug 5, 2013
    For me it's for different tunings, I can't play everything we play in one tuning, so I need multiple basses.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Your two basses will sound completely different from each other. Keep them both to be able to cop more tones. Also, if you ever gig out, you need a backup.

4. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Multiple basses are ok to a point. Like ^ tuning differences or different needs in sound. But it can quickly get away from you and then you get GAS..

For me that number is no more than 4. Gives you one bass to tune different, the rest to find what ever sound you need.

5. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer

Mar 16, 2006
    California
    Two is the perfect number of basses for me, but I'm in the minority.

6. You should have at least two basses ready if you ever play in public. A backup is important in case you have a string break or some other failure.

In addition, as noted above, you also have the opportunity to set them up differently so they sound quite different. This is a feature, not a bug.

In short, by all means keep both and enjoy both.

(Confession: I have a dozen and sometimes do end up going "eeney-meeny" to pick one, but that's hardly a hardship!)

7. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    Just put it in a case and store it. A bass that you can immediately pull out and know that it is playable is pretty valuable, if you have a disaster.

I never get rid of gear, though. I like to come back to older sounds just for fun.

8. No such thing as an 'excess bass' IMHO.

I have basses set up for different tones. Currently:

1 Active PJ5 w/flats (main)
    1 Passive P5 5 w/rounds
    1 Active "Jazz" 5 w/rounds
    1 Passive "Jazz" 5 w/flats

I pretty much always take 2: 1 with flats, one with rounds.

9. Thanks everyone, pretty much decided that for me.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Whew! Glad we got that figured out. We thought (for just a second) that you were actually going to try to get by on one bass. We would have had to resort to violence of some sort. If word got out that you even COULD survive with one bass, our entire way of life could have been DESTROYED. Now, never EVER bring this up again.

K?

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    They only true "need" for two is if you gig and it actually matters if you continue to play should something happen to your instrument.

That said, in the nearly 30 years I have been playing, I have played in a public setting several hundred times. I can only remember a handful of times that the bass actually failed. I've had an accident severely damage a bass, a couple of broken strings, a battery die (totally my fault) and a couple times when some gremlin decided the gig day was the day some electronic part should fail.

The need for a backup is VERY rare, but it does happen. I am sure it is far more common with touring acts as the instruments accumulate "mileage" far more quickly and take a lot more abuse.

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I only have one EBG right now. :bag:

I don't have any immediate plans of buying another.

13. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    All the above, plus

- having different strings
    - if the P is passive, that's better for use with some effects
    - you can use one as a 'beater' for playing at those dodgy venues

14. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I had close to 30 at one time. I'm now down to 9. I eventually want to get down to 4 (max); Two fretted 5s (1 main, 1 backup) and two fretless 5s (1 main, 1 backup).

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If one breaks, you have a second while the first one's in the shop.

16. Wait 'til you start getting into amps. I've got 5 different bass heads and one more on the way. Only 2 bass guitars: Thumb 5 and thumb 6 fretless.

17. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    I have four... if three are in the shop- i still have one! :rolleyes:

... and... two with rounds... one with half-rounds... one with flats...

18. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    I have 2 8 strings.. fretted and fretless. A 12 string, 2 acoustics.. one fretted one fretless, 3 fretless only need 1. 7 x 4 string fretteds.. that's where I need to cut down. My 81 Ibanez and my 80s Washburn and my Retrovibe Vantage are the 3 that I'll probably always keep. Even my Geddy Jazz would go first.

I like fretted and fretless of each type ( 4, 8, acoustic ) but that may just be rationalizing too many basses LOL I'm winning the GAS battle to make a 12 string fretless.

19. Like with clothes, food, I like variety. Sometimes I want a Jazz, sometimes a Precision, sometimes a Rickenbacker, sometimes a Stingray, sometimes a G&L, etc... Sometimes I want to play 4 strings, sometimes 5 strings. Sometimes I want a hollow body, sometimes a fretless. Variety.

20. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    I sometimes think I have too many basses, but then I remember that Rick Nielsen has 2000 guitars.