Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

multiple basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wooday04, Feb 4, 2002.

1. wooday04

wooday04

Dec 17, 2001
    i was just wondering why everyone owns multiple basses. i personally like the idea, but i wanna have some reasons to convince my friends and mroe importantly my parents that having more than one bass is ok.

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Why do YOU think you need more than one bass??

3. Maybe a freted one and a fretless

4. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Each bass has its own sound.

You could own a Fender Jazz, and a Warwick Streamer, which have completely different sounds.

Or, different amount of strings, like having a 4 and a 5.

Or, as mentioned above, a fretted and a fretless.

They're all completely different instruments, that let you express yoruself completely differently.

I personally own a fretted 6 string and a fretless 4 string. Very different.

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I have 7 fretless basses. Guess I better get 7 fretted. :)
    doc

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, one reason _not_ to own multiples is to convince or impress anyone else. in fact, that's not a good reason to do anything.

7. I use two basses when we gig. One tuned to 440 and the other one to 430. Saves time between songs. And, as was the case this weekend, if you blow out a string, you have an extra guitar to cover until break.

8. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Just for my own knowledge...

Is 430 A flat?

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Wooday, the trick is to not try to convince anyone other than yourself. Now that I think of it, my wife has never asked me why I have more than one bass. It's obvious to her that they both look and sound different.

So, unless someone else is buying your stuff, no explanation is really needed... unless "you" don't understand it yourself;)

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    aren't wives who "get it" awesome? man, i'm lucky. i say that every day, a few times. :)

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    true

12. I'll second that.

My wife bought me both of my 5 strings (bass #5, and #6), and bought me my 2X10, and my 1X18.

All were different Father's day gifts. Gotta love her.

13. I'll "third" that! My wife has also never asked. She knows they all sound different. (Always good to marry another musician!)

Jeff

14. Yeah, it is. Helps with some of the vocals

15. wooday04

wooday04

Dec 17, 2001
    i dont want multiple basses to impress anyone. but my parents are gonna want some good reasons if i wanna get a second bass. and when i told my friends in my band that i might get another bass they kept asking why, so i was jsut wondering what to tell them. by the way, thanks for the input so far.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I had the good fortune of having a GC salesman say "I have nineteen basses" in front of my wife. Now I can say, "Hell, I've only got seven!" Seems to work. I'm going after "Henry the Eighth" now.

17. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    well i for one have only one bass. its a pedulla pentabuzz/fretless. Recently I wanted to get a fretted bass to change up my sound. Plus it makes me more marketable for the locals here. There are not many bass players in my area and there are always people asking me to join their band or just fill in. The majority of them do not like fretless bass tone. These are all rock bands.

For my own band my fretless fits the music perfectly. There are no distored electric guitars so my bass tone sounds "right" with this setting. Although i just jammed with a "hardcore/metal" act and my sound suffers a lot. Even when I turn up the mids it just does not sound "cool". The guys in this band told me to bring a fretted bass next time. I know how they feel because when I jammed with them I think they just wanted me to stop playing. The penta was not aggressive enough even with tweaking EQ. Didn't have the bright cutty edge to it like a fretted does.

So that's my reason to buy an Elrick 4 string, uh, well maybe something else....who knows

I on the other hand do not have understanding parents or GF's. They think its a waste of money to keep buying stuff. :rolleyes:

18. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    dont worry about multiple basses until you dont have to worry about expaining it to your parents.

19. I have multiple basses cause I like different stuff!

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Show them this picture. This guy has a problem... you don't;)

Some stuff