Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Multiple choice bass shape.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by punkfunkfreak, Nov 12, 2002.

1. A

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. B

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. C

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. D

40 vote(s)
    58.0%
  5. They all suck. I want carrots.

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Ive been fiddling about in my newly aquired photoshop....

Well? which is your fave?

[​IMG]

I have other designs but they arent as simple and are a bit un-practical to build as a first bass.

thanx in advance for your thoughts...

:D

2. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    d is kind of ex=factor-ish

I like....

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I think D is the one most likely to balance well when worn with a strap - the length of the top horn has some functional value (it's not just for looks).

Once you get a clearer idea of what you want to build, it wouldn't be a bad idea to build a prototype out of MDF - that's a relatively inexpensive way of making sure it's going to fit you before you start hacking up an expensive bit of wood.

Wulf

4. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    i was thinking that....but i would imagine only B would cause a problem in balance. Due to the almost upside down shape....then again its only really as bad as a thumb to my eye....

:confused:

little inexperienced ol me.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'm far from an expert, but I certainly think a prototype would be advisable.

If you want experts, then don't forget the Luthiers in the corner ;)

Wulf

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hey those are sweet lookin! Good luck building the bass - can't wait to see the finished product. Very creative, bro.

7. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    yeh...good advice..ill make a prototype soon...

I have a choice of three body woods too. All free.

Birdseye maple- (yes...totally free)
    mahogany-
    cedar-

my father is a furniture restorer and theres just stuff lying all over his workshop...if he doesnt use all of an entire block in a month then they give him a new block anyway...so i can use the old peices.

anyway...thats not the point...im edging towards A at the moment....im not sure of d so much....

:)

[EDIT] vanselus...your avatar is mesmerising.....hehe...lookee, he nods his head!..hehe.... left-right-left-right-left-right....

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Mesmerizing? You ain't seen nothin. Check out vanselus.com

As for body woods, I'd suggest Mahog. Cedar is too damn soft & maple is too hard. Cedar doesn't have enough definition for my taste, and maple sounds really really compressed. But that's my tastes!

If you're leaning away from D, I'd suggest B - it seems like it would balance better...

9. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    hey...i know what u mean.. the type of cedar im talking of is the type in the attatchment...

What are the characteristics of this wood?

...and theres always ash...i cant get it for free but i can probably get it pretty cheaply.

At first i was thinking of maybe going for wenge...but i only think i have enough for the neck. And it might just break my back. Ill see if i can find summore in the workshop dring the week...

ps i was ahead of you and checked your site...great design..keep it up man....and check out mine, its in my sig.

:cool:

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    To me cedar sounds smooth but not punchy or "snappy" - and doesn't have much definition in the mix. I'd stick with wenge on the neck - that will add a lot of punch! Have you thought about Alder? That's my favorite wood for bodies hands-down.

You should really ask the braintrust in the luthiers forum about all this...

glad you liked the site - yours is amazing! very creative, very dark, cool navigation.

11. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    yeh...the initial question isnt about body wood anyway....its just the shape im getting down for now...i can worry about that after i have at least one good drawing of the entire bass....Ill take it over to luthiers corner once i have that.

I am on a really really tight budget (thus the making and not the buying) so i dont think i can afford alder...im not sure of the going rate tho.

thanx about the site...ive been into webdesign for a year now and im getting more confident...still no flash tho...:(

12. since you have FREE mahogany & maple handy, i would suggest :

mahogany body, mahogany neck (3 piece laminate for strength) with pao ferro fretboard and 1/2" thick maple top

i played a bass with this configuration just the other day, and it was (surprisingly, to me) solid AND sweet

i usually dont like mahogany in basses, but i really liked this one a LOT

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I kinda like the C and D..

Here's the one you missed, btw.

[​IMG]

I need to get me Photoshop or something if I continue doing these images.

14. The D loos more balanced.

15. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    i think...ive decided....maybe...um...no...

oh. ok...i choose A!

About the mahongany laminate neck:
    I dont like the idea of this...mainly because this is my first bass and i want it to be as simple as possible...id rather do my best on a simple make then bodge up a complex one...

and that cedar is sooo pretty.

16. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    If you put the upper strap button on the upper horn, only D will work. The others will be less balanced than all Fenders and Gibsons together!

OTOH, you could arrange things, so you can have the strap button on the back of the neck (or something protruding behind the neck. Then any of them will do. Even a carrot..?

17. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    howabout putting the rear strap button lower?

if not,..
    Ive seen a bass with a clear plastic attatchment that goes on a strap button situated on the heel joint. It protuded about 6 inches or so and attatched to the strap at the other end....i didnt notice any problems with this when i played it either, sitting or standing.....

*is looking into it*

18. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Check out this article from Bunnybass.com about strap button position (in short, the recommendation here is move the rear one higher - move it lower and the top of the bass will probably tend to tip away from you).

Wulf

19. i like a the most but it will be unbalanced so d is probably the most practical and not bad looking at all.

20. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    sorry i meant to type higher.....damn my dyslexia.

um... i think im gonna go for a, mainly cos d looks too spacey/overstated. And i like a small bass body.
    thanx everyone. I totally ignore your choice :p.