1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Multiple EQ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MobileHolmes, Dec 3, 2006.

1. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Does anyone make an eq pedal that will let you swtich between a couple different curves on the fly? I guess I could just get two or three eq pedals and set them differently, but it would be cool if there were a single box that would do it.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  3. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    ya, boss eq20.

only problem is that you can't change the presets with your feet. you have to push a little button with your finger. though i've heard of people modding their eq20 to make the presets foot-switchable.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Depending on whether one of the sounds you like is a mid scoop, the old Trace Elliot graphic EQ pedal had that capability. You can switch between the graphic and a fixed mid-scoop setting.

5. MobileHolmes

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    cool. I'll check those out

6. MobileHolmes

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Can't change presets with foot? That seems like a huge error, as it seems like the logical use of the thing

7. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

it is a huge error, as far as i'm concerned. the pedal on the right switches between "manual" and "memory" modes; manual mode gets you the setting you've got on the sliders, memory mode switches to a stored setting.

so you've got the ability to switch between two presets with the pedal (presumably), the one you've got on the sliders at that moment, and the stored one.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    All the multi-effect pedals have EQ's - the Zoom, Behringer, Digitech, ... but look for one with Midi, so you can use combine it with other midi controlled effects later.

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Which almost has something to do with the OP's question...

10. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    If you need lots of eq patches that you can't dial up from your bass, I'd suggest thinking about a MIDI controlled device.

There are lots of options, some of the used pieces are (ahem!) value-priced, and some of the possibilities come w/ very cool extras. For example, for not much more than a good pedal, an ADA MB-1 would give you 5 bands of eq (w/ sweepable freq), as well as lots of fun extras--SS/tube pre stages w/ blend, two (!) switchable effects loops w/ adjustable send/return, and great routing options.

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    There are no EQ devices made that the OP wants. I was expressing my opinion that a multi-effect is a good alternative. They all can switch instantly between EQ curves. AFAIK the EQ-20 isn't in production.

Your post has absolutely nothing to do with the OP post.

I don't know why you follow my posts and try to catch every little flaw - but it's your time, do what you want.

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    My point was that there ARE devices made that do what the OP wants, including the EQ-20 (available used all the time), the TE I mentioned, the programmable SABDDI, and certain multi-fx. Simply telling him that "all multi-fx pedals have EQ's" is not that helpful. The reason I dog you around, especially here in the FX forum, is you have a tendency to answer every question with "buy a digital modeling unit or software" regardless of what the question was.

13. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    :eyebrow:

Well, for the first time in a long time, I'm with Bongomania on this one. :eek: :D

I don't see how his post is off the mark (well, maybe the additional commentary and implications, but that's another story ;) ):

- There are a few devices (including pedals) that do the trick. The Boss EQ-20 and the SansAmp Programmable BDDI are the most accessible. In the case of the SansAmp, simply roll down the Blend to "zero" so that only the EQ is active and not the tube emulation. It's not the most feature-filled option in the world, but it works great, and plenty love the tube emulation, too (if one plans on turning the blend up past "zero").

- A pedal doesn't need to be in production to be obtainable. If the EQ-20 was discontinued, that had to have been fairly recently. I still see them around.

-Why does everything have to be digital modeling, software, or MIDI? Not everyone needs MIDI unless they're looking for a more complicated, flexible setup beyond the standard plug-and-play style that most bassists opt for.

- And yes, multi-effects units can do this, too, but not all of them can do it easily, and not everyone wants to carry around a whole multi-effects unit just for the sake of EQ changes.

- Single pedals aren't a bad idea, either. Consider the MXR 6-band EQ for an equally inexpensive alternative to something like the Boss GEB-7.

BassoP - Hopefully, you'll find this info useful. :D

Everyone else - Chill... :rollno:

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    MIDI allows you to use a single controller to control all the presets on all your pedals. Many of the multi-fx offer it. It doesn't seem to add to cost or complexity to use it standalone.

Some of multi-fx like the Zoom are compact, the ability to program them is in the user's ability to understand the instructions. They are worth checking into, even if you don't plan on using all the effect in them - even just for eq.

An effect is an effect whether it's analogue or digital. Virtual or hardware. Any "digital" effect is software. A pedal or rack may have embedded software. But even the hardware can go software only, like all the old analogue synths and effects have a plug-in version - the synths aren't in production, but the plugins are. I have no problem promoting software as an alternative in an effects forum. Just like those who are stuck on analogue promote analogue. There is a balance, and I know it, I still carry an analogue mixer.

15. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    True - I'll have to agree with you there. I just usually think of relying on the available stomp switches on a multi-effects unit for control, but for more compact ones, or rackmount multi-effects, I agree MIDI is a definite must.

I think the only multi-effects unit I was ever satisfied with sound-wise was the Bass POD, but that's another story...

The only real reason for all the madness here, it seems, is because we were trying to narrow it down to pure EQ units. But there really aren't many... so alternative suggestions like what we TBers have listed so far are a plus.