Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Multiple hair dying a no-no?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bardolph, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    My hair is naturally brown and I just wanted to darken it a little, so I went with dye that said "dark brown." In actuality, it meant just barely not black. It's permanent. If possible, I would like to lighten it a little, go back to the original shade if necessary. Would it be okay or even doable to find a hair dye that dyes black hair brown to reverse the process?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    In the hair world, the reverse of dye is not more dye.

It's bleach.

Be careful, or you'll either get orange hair or maybe it will give up the ghost and just fall out.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    There's no way it's permanent like forever. How can that be?!

I'm not being sarcastic, but I just dont' see how that could work.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It may fade a bit, but will eventually grow out.

5. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    So putting a lighter dye over a dark one will do nothing?

6. MurdocRocks

MurdocRocks

Jun 18, 2005
    Torrance, CA
    I believe that dye works like this:

Your hair is filled with tons of tiny little 'holes', which the dye fills up, and changes the appearance of your hair. So dying it again wouldnt work very well because those holes are already filled up. I'm pretty sure that bleach on the other hand, completely destroys the proteins in your hair or something like that. That's why your hair can fall out when you bleach it.

7. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    This bleaching you speak of, would it have to actually be bleach or could it be blonde dye?

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Bleach.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Just don't have a little of both colors like that kid on Brat Camp.

-Mike

10. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    oh oh oh oh I know I know

try this stuff called "Sun In" you just spray it in your hair right right right, and than you go run around in the sun yep yep yep, and than your hair turns lighter. Some girl called mine " peanut butter hair " 2 years ago when I used it. So It turned light brown hair, dirty blonde, I dont know what my hair counts as...into peanut butter.

I would try that stuff though, I think its bleach only lessoned.

11. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    I'd go to a hair salon and talk to a hairdresser - I think they will know what to do. I'm pretty sure they can use something to take the dye off or make it less harsh.

12. Whoa!! Before you try anything like bleach (!), talk to a local stylist! At least call the 1-800 number on the package you used to get yourself into this mess! I'm not a stylist or hair dresser but I have spent the last 10 years dying my hair various different shades-can't guarantee I can help you but feel free to PM me and I'll try to talk you thru, if I can.