Multiple instrument users -- are you better on something other than your main axe?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Not specific instrument -- as in, this bass vs. this bass, but piano or drums instead of bass.

There's a LOT of multi-instrumentalists on this board here and this is something I'm rather curious about.

My main instrument is now upright bass, but I played BG for almost 3 years before picking it up in February and guitar for about 8 months before starting it. As a result, my technical facility on both bass and guitar is far greater than that of my DB technique. Of course, a lot of that has to do with the sheer physical limitations, but my main instrument (and the only one I've gigged on) is something I'm not as good on yet as I am on other ones. Not to say I'm not good on DB, I'm just much better on the others.

How 'bout y'all? (Sorry, listening to a lot of country lately...)
  2. sax.....Bari, alto, working on getting some soprano chops...i became a lot better at it when i got out of high school (i was playing classical music with a REALLY crappy bari) and started working with teachers that gave me stuff like Charlie Parker and sonny rollins. at one point i was even able to nail EXACTLY the part to "bebop", but since then i've calmed down and focused on classical where i do a lot more intricate playing
  3. I play bass, guitar, dobro and steel guitar. These days, I am probably best on bass and dobro because I play them the most. I prefer to play bass in a band, but I'll play whatever I can to make a song work.
  4. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Maybe my viola. I'm just ok at playing either, but I like the bass a lot more...
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I just joined a jazz workshop as a guitarist to practice my jazz guitar chops. After showing up and finding out I was also the most proficient bassist in the group, the teacher asked me if I could bring both.

I try to get out, but they keep pulling me back in!

I also play piano, but not with any real gig skills.

As for your situation, I think you should try to practice the lines you learned on electric on your new instrument. That'll help you bridge the gap.
  6. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I play guitar, piano, and trumpet. But my "main instrument" is voice. I'm a classically trained singer, and voice is my major here in college.
  7. I'm pretty sure I'm better at Tuba than Bass, although its basically the same range, so the theory stuff works out well.
  8. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Well I still think of myself as a bassist who plays 'AT' other instruments, but I often get more work out of my 12-string guitar than my bass.
  9. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    I can shred on my Les Paul. But I LOVE to play the bass. It helps me to play in better bands because I won't play in a band where a guitarist isn't as good on the skinny neck sixer as I am. :cool:
  10. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    When I had a use for playing tuba(before I sold it) I tended to keep myself ahead on it.

But with where i'm at now and with how my practicing habits have improved I don't see how my tuba skills could have progressed at an equal rate.

Wish I had a practical use for playing tuba, I enjoyed it at about an equal level as playing bass.
  11. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland first instrument..goddamn a few years ago I could make it talk..(and I even mastered the "circular breathing" technique)..however I havent played it in so many years I'd need at least a months practice at 4 hours a day solid to get my lip back in shape..funny thing is I still remember all my techniques its just about getting my lip in shape again...(and giving up the ciggies).
  12. i'm definitely best at bass, but I also play guitar, ukulele, a bit of piano, and sing.
  13. i hate to pull this topic slightly off subject, but does anyone who majors in music play another instrument because it's the most accessible in school when they have a passion for another instrument?
  14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I play drums too, but I think now I play about once a month. As far as skill level, I'd say that I'm more talented at bass because of less physical barriers. But, I'm probably at the same level suckwise with both :)
  15. I'm a better piano/keyboard player than bass player.
  16. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    oh boy I play Bass (both electric and upright), Guitar, Drums, French Horn, Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Piano, Blues Harmonica, and Flute

But Trombone by far is my best
  17. Banjo and Bass - I picked up the banjo pretty quickly in March of this year and I can play pretty well - i have my fingerpicking patterns down and can play songs out of a book, but improvising and coming up with my own stuff is killer

I'm way better at bass - going on 4 years. I feel way more proficient and "one" with the instrument, I feel like i can just go on and groove with comfort.

Thats what it feels like at least - maybe i'm the next Bela Fleck...

or wooten
  18. This may seem goofy ... I have always been a Bass player in a multi-instrumentalists body. Yes, I began on violin ... then mandolin played with my fingers like a bass(cause it was tuned the same as a violin, but easier to hit a clean note) ... then keyboards (because my buddies needed a keyboard player in their band) ... THEN BASS (because I ALWAYS wanted to play the bass) ... and lately I've been playing guitar. I play bass best, but still dabble in all the other instruments. I record original music, and play everything ... except I program the drum tracks on a "drum machine", so I suppose I don't play drums, but I can "think" drums. Does that count as drums as well? :scowl:
  19. I thought this was about individual instruments. :eek:

My main bass is my G&L but I think I probably play better on my old EB-0. The EB-0 sounds much worse and is much uglier, but the neck is money.

About the true intent of the thread...

I'm a bass player, I started out playing bass, there have been periods when guitar was my main instrument, but even then I was much better at playing bass.
  20. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I play several instruments, and I've been getting pretty good with a baritone guitar, but I'm still more comfortable, and have much better musical "instincts" on my bass. I can't go very long without coming back to it, even if I don't have any gigs with it coming up.