Multiple parallel pickups to infinity

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Whil57, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Whil57

Whil57

Aug 7, 2013
    Long Island
    Can pickups be added in parallel till the cows come home -room to do this if it was available, or does the signal crap out at some point down the chain? Why use 3 way or 5 way switches to pair pick-ups ? Does running more than two at a time cause some kind of phase issues?

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Two coils is the requirement for humbucking, anything more (in parallel) won't bring much benefit.
    Coils in parallel also raise the resonance frequency, so if you have too many in parallel the overall frequency response is affected.

You can get more output out of coils in series, but coils in series lower the resonant frequency.

3. Whil57

Whil57

Aug 7, 2013
    Long Island
    I'm in process of restoring a Hamer Jazz. What i was going to do, for body work ease, was abandon the neck pup, but leave it as a dummy so i didnt need to cut a filler piece for the cavity. I will route out for a mudbucker at the neck. I figured having the original neck pup wouldnt serve much purpose between the two.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    each one you add makes the overall signal thinner and weaker.

in series each one you add makes the signal louder and muddier.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022