multiple question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by korngod_04, Jun 3, 2001.

1. korngod_04

Feb 11, 2001
    I have a few questions i'd like to ask you guys. 1st is Does anyone know what Fieldy (korn) sets his amp settings to? and what effects he uses? 1 more, what does the High and Low inputs on my amp do? thanks for help
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Fieldy basically takes all of the mids out of his signal. That means he boosts the bass and the treble really high and cuts the mid frequencies almos completely out. That and the way he attacks the strings give him the clicky sound he has. I know he uses at least two Boss Bass Synthesizers, and distortion, but after that I'm not sure in terms of effects.

If you have a high or low input on your amp, it's for whether or not you have an active or passive bass. If you have a battery in your bass to power the pickups or a preamp, that means it's active and you should plug it into the Low input. If your bass DOESN'T have a battery, it's passive, and goes into the high input.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000

1) To get the Fieldy sound you also need a cabinet with a tweeter for the treble, and turn it all the way up.

2) I'd say use the input that sounds best to your ears. If the amp starts to distort regardless of the its output volume, you're overdriving the preamp stage and would benefit from using the low input. However, if it doesn't distort, it doesn't really matter which one you use.

FYI: my main bass is active but its output is lower than any passive bass I've encountered.
  4. korngod_04

Feb 11, 2001
    ok, thanks guys. I was reading in a different thread that there might be a FAQ coming out. Are they still working on it or what? whenm will it be out?
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Arrrgggghh - No - Not a "Fieldy FAQ"! :(

If nobody posts about Fieldy anymore, what will we do for amusement?!?

Sad but true....:D

FAQ off, I think.
  6. korngod_04

Feb 11, 2001
    I was talking about an Amp FAQ. Not a Fieldy FAQ.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The "artist," himself, tells you at the site where there are pics of him. Just do a "Fieldy" search. I know from when I was grabbing a pic of him.
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000

ok correct me if im wrong here, but if you have active electronics you dont have to put it in the active input, you can put it in the passive one and vice versa. I think the passive input increases signal somehow, and the active one decreases it to compensate for the active etronics, I know if you put actives in the passive input the sound level you get is much louder than that when you run into the active input....Im sorry that isnt as technical answer as others would give, but i think im somewhere in the ball park about this. Please correct me if Im wrong.
  9. Personally, I prefer Sam Rivers tone.

Fieldy's set-up:

Sling cheap Ibanez SR5005 down so low that you have to point it to the sky inorder to reach the fifth fret. Don't forget the duct tape, wear Pumas... then go for this sound...

According to the 9/2000 issue of BP--
    "Ultra-scooped, drop-tuned 5-string with clicky highs..."

Two Mesa M-2000's-
    tube amp setting with 9 band eq at:

Boss Eq pedal with slight mid boost tapering to no highs.

Monster Cable connectors.

Ibanez bass flanger, Boss SYB-2 Bass Synth on channel 8, Boss Hyperfuzz, VooDoo Labs Tremolo, Boss Bass Synth on channel 4, Boss EQ., Whirlwind multi-selector.

Get out you check book.
  10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Korngod, you already sent me an email asking this...why are you posting this question here (for the second time)?
  11. yes, you can generally plug in active instrument into a passive input, but not vice versa.
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

All I know is that you're probably going to have the clip LED light up every 4 seconds! (on the amps I know of anyway)
  13. I don't know how this one got by me but it's obviously supposed to be in the AMPS forum!!!