Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Multiple strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by christos, Feb 18, 2001.

1. This thread is mainly directed to anyone that has had any learning experience with 7 string basses..... I currently play a 5 string(fairly well) and I want to move up, but what I need to know is, do you have to go up one string at a time, or should I just blitz right to the point that I am striving for so that I have more practice time on the instrument that I am actually going to play?

P.S.
    Dear Moderator,
    Please direct this thread in any way if need be...

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Our beloved John Turner jumped from 4 to 7.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i went directly from 4 to 7, about 8 years ago. haven't looked back since.

the one thing that i've found is that i got better at playing fretted and fretless 7 string when i totally abandoned the 4 string. after all, everything that one can do on a four, one can do on a 7. :D

4. Thanks, Oysterman and John Turner, that is all I needed to hear, I guess I will be looking for a 7, starting today...... I just have to wait for Uncle Sam to give me my hard earned money back this year.....

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    if John Turner said so, it has to be true, right?...

6. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    are there any sevens on the market other than conklin GTs? (not custom models)

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Not production models, although Greg Curbow, Conklin, Ken Smith, Surine and probably more will custom build anything that you want.

8. As far as I know the Conklin Groove Tools 7 string and Groove Tools Bill Dickens Sig 7 are the only massproduced 7 strings available.

Conklin seems to be the most predominant maker of basses with over 6 strings.

Other custom shops that I've heard of making basses with 7 or more strings are Alembic, Curbow, and Jerzy Droyzd. I'm pretty sure I saw Warwick mention in a catalog that their custom shop could make 7 strings if requested.

I'm sure there are a lot of luthiers and custom shops out there that could make you a 7 string. Of course, a custom shop Conklin or any other custom 7 string will cost quite a bit more than a Groove Tools.. but such is life.

9. ack.. embellisher beat me to it :)

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry!:oops:

:p

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, yes. very astute of you to notice that.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Better get me a 14 string bass then... (double neck, of course)

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't know...what would duck do?

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    he would play a four string bass in the first place... but i'm NOT going to get into that, because there are about 94.6 threads devoted to that topic.

but in this specific case, if you're gonna go, go big. get a 7

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    guess you can't teach an old duck new tricks. :D

16. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    I agree with JT, it's a much better idea to just take on the 7 instead of working your way up. That is a totally foolish approach. And another thing, why does there always seem to be some form of animosity conveyed to those who play extended range instruments? Is this just me?

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it's just you, they love us.

really.

:rolleyes: :D

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Keith Roscoe makes an amazing 7, the SKB 3007. I have one (got it recently) and it's a wonderful bass. By the way, the transition from 6 to 7 is pretty easy. Don't know what it would be like going from 4 to 7, however.