Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Multiscale Strings (6'er)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Juneau, May 3, 2005.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hey guys, Im having a bass built now that will be 35" to 33" over 6 strings (B E A D G C). I was wondering if there are any issues I should be concerned with when shopping for strings? IE, having the shorter scale on the higher strings causing any problems with a standard string set in say extra long or long to cover the 35" scale on the B string for example.

Any info is greatly appreciated :)

I have a Dingwall now, thats 37" to 34" over 5 strings, but since I use Dingwall strings, I have never run into any issues there.

2. Are not the strings the same from their top to their bottom?!

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    No, they arent. My B string will be 35" long from the bridge saddle to the nut, wheras my high C string will only be 33" long from the same points. You can read more about multiscaled instruments at www.novaxguitars.com or Id be glad to answer any questions.

4. But I mean if theres difference in construction on different areas of the string, else I dont get why not make all strings über long...

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    It may be as simple as that actually, thats what Im asking. If there is any particular type of strings I should avoid because they have tapers at the bridge or whatever that would be prohibitive on a 33" scale, but fine for a 35" scale.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I went to Guitar Center and they didn't sell 6 string sets; so I got a 5 string set. It was for backup anyways.