1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Multistage compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Does anyone with a stereo compressor jump the output of the first channel into the input of the second? Presumably, one would dial in some soft compression with a low threshold on channel 1, then hard limiting with a high threshold on channel 2.

2. Hey Peter:

I tried this for a while with a Behringer Autocom. The second stage I actually took through my effects side chain so that I could adjust the amount of "hard" compression with my amp's blend control (blend of raw + side). At 100% side chain, I would have max compression, at 100% raw I would have only the soft compression.

I found that the overall effect was to "deaden" the raw feed more than I liked, regardless of the settings I chose. I wanted a reasonable amount of dynamics at the raw feed, with some evening of extremes at the "final product".

I now use an FMR RNC in the side chain as a single stage. In "really nice" mode, I get just the amount of compression I like when blended 60% effects 40% raw.

Hope that isn't too much data. BTW, I still have the Behringer, and would sell it - email or PM me if if you are interested.

3. Nah, I don't think I need another compressor right now--the onboard one on my Fafner is plenty juicy. :D

I only asked from a theoretical standpoint. A friend of mine produces electronica tracks and we've discussed the possibility of me adding some bass guitar grooves/riffs/doodles to some of his sparer tracks. We were talking about unconventional methods of compression and limiting.

He really liked my idea of multiband LFO-modulated compression, followed by gated reverb, applied to a fretless track :D

4. Yep i have it that way :)

have it like this :

Bass --> Hartke 3500 --( fx send )--> Compressor channel 1 --> Rackmount tuner --> Compressor channel 2 --( FX return )--> Hartke 3500 --> speakers

Channel 1 applies light compression at all times to my signal ( about 1:2 @ -15dB ), to smoothen out the sound

Channel 2 has heavy compression, to smoothen out any peaks that might still remain. ( 1:6 @ +5 dB )

5. I have a Behringer Composer pro set up pretty much the same as Allodo.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ditto.