Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"MULTISTRING BASS WAR"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gregory Bruce Campbell, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    I'm gonna go out on some limbs here but I have once again reached a boiling point!

Why do they call them multistring BASSES?

Why do we participate in BASS related forums?

As a staff member of the Bozeman Bass Bash, I had the opportunity to drive Jeff to an airport after our event one year ... due to a 2 hour drive and a 1 hour stop for breakfast...

We had a great opportunity to chat!

What a great experience!

Jeff is one of those people that people just don't know or understand...

What I want to tell you is the cornerstone of my multistring confidence...

...My motto if you will!

It is well known that Jeff just strongly disagrees with basses boasting anything more than 4 strings...

Long before I owned my 9's Jeff asked me, "Why do YOU want a nine string?"

Knowing what he thought, I got defensive...

I explained as best as I could my thoughts on the benefits of a nine, again long before I had one at all...

Jeff listened well, and responded...

"Oh yah? Well, ... if people don't like what you are doing... F**K 'em ... and that includes me!"

You gotta understand ... knowing about how Jeff feels about multi string basses, and knowing how he comes across in the world of bass, I was floored!

For the next 15 minutes it seemed it was silent, and I just smiled!

He's right!

Man as long as you are confidant and happy about what you are doing ... who cares about all the ignorant morons who disagree!

On a negative note...

I have heard of Dave Larue holding up his hand and staring at it like a monkey... I won't judge him for this stupidity because of what happened to me with Jeff Berlin... I will assume that Dave is not that stupid...

I heard he says something like, 4 fingers... 4 strings....

BUT, in this demonstration he does what he thinks must prove something ... if it's even remotely intelligent or valid, and you applied it to other instruments. We would have drum kits with only four drums, 10 key pianos ... all wind instruments would have 8 valves or keys on them ... etc.

I guess what irritates me is that I feel any musical instrument is beautiful and impressive.

So often I am asked "why don't you just play a... " and then you can just insert any instrument but the bass here...

You'd be surprised at the variety....

At winter NAMM 2003 I was preparing to perform at a booth and some guy gets all sarcastic like that. And I lost it ... hey I'm human ... you keep poking me with a stick and eventually I'm gonna lose it!

I said to him ... do you go around counting keys on peoples pianos? There was a reference earlier in this thread to such a GREAT analogy and I just must say... AMEN to that ... cephas45 says what I said in a similar way and sums it up for me here...

AMEN cephas45

As time goes by I have seen some great comments in favor of multistring or extended range instruments...

And it pleases me a great deal!

But good GOD why do I get sucked in to spending so much time continuing to defend it???

I wish i could just keep off of here and go practice... ;)'

Negativity towards what I love really offends and upsets me...

The best thing that I have ever been able to say to people is this...

"Listen with your ears not your eyes..."

That's mine ... if you use it ... give me credit! LOLL just kidding. Please feel free to use it!

What I am saying is don't JUDGE the musician by how many strings or how the bass looks ... when you hear it do you hear a bass?

As far as high registers are concerned ... do you know Stanley Clark for playing a piccolo? No, because he will eat up your lack of musicianship like a breath mint!

Do you knock Stanley or Stew Hamm for playing short scale basses?

NO, it just doesn't matter!!!!!!

Does it sound like a bass? Is he a good bass player?

THEN SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP!!!!!

;) ;) ;)

I own a yahoo group that is a safe haven for players who are into this multistring thang...

If you support the whole multi string idea, please join us here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/multistringBASSIST/

2. you should calm down and eat an ice cream sandwich.

3. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    Oh, now you're calling me FAT???

:D Just kidding... :D

LOL, you are right man!

I do get carried away, but just wanted to make a few points ... from the thread I was quoting I remember you having a great similar piano analogy comment as well!

I'm not intending to offend here just hopefully make a point and enlighten...

4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    :eek:
    Even Rogues?
    ;) :D ;)

5. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    Great point!!!:bag:

6. hey rogues could be impressive if they wanted to be and my brother is bigger than yours so there!:spit:...

LOL they could be good basses if they actually tried to make a bass that didnt suck... no offense to anyone with a limited budget but wow they suck... i once bought one for a gig just so i could smash it.... it was like 90 bucks and we made around 600 bucks for that show so i think it was worth it... but yeah they suck thats the end of the story......

fine:bassist:

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Um, I thought Mr. Hamm spelled his name Stu, not Stew.

8. hey all,

no surprise here, but I figure I'd throw in my extended range cents...

thanks, Greg, for both the passion and the articulate argument. I agree totally (even if my bass has ONLY 8 strings!) and would add this: as long as what the player's doing is musical, who cares about the rest? I'll take art and groove over hype any day.

I know multistring/extended range cats who can solo like fiends but most of them can hold a pocket like you wouldn't believe. some cats want more range, some want textural variety, some want a challenge, and a few really have a different way of approaching the instrument. it's all about personal choice.

if you check out one of my bands I play old school funk for 3 hours at a time. if you come and see one of my others you have to sit through me soloing and playing melodies most of the night. I know it's the same for more than a few of the 6+string crowd.

is there heart in the music or is it really about ego and insecurity?

riddle me this, Batman: how many 4 bangers are there out there wanking away without a musical or an original thought in their heads. how many 4 stringers have you heard who make you want to walk up and take away their basses?

why does this argument exist?

I don't know. and I don't care. if you don't like the multistring things, ignore 'em! just make sure you're doing it because the musicianship is lacking.

there are cats playing all instruments that I don't enjoy listening to, but that's a taste issue for me. I prefer Paul Jackson over John Patitucci and Jerry Jemmott over Oteil Burbridge, but I think Anthony Jackson and Bill Dickens are devastating. so is Chuck Rainey. so is Mark King. so is Jimmy Johnson. so is...

jusde the music and the musician, not the choice of instrument. and hey, if they can ever get a great tone out of a Rogue, then I'd say it's beautiful, too!

:D

hope I didn't step on too many toes...

from the low end,

Stew

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    what JW said...Play what you like and do not worry about what anyone thinks !

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    plus, unless you are playing a monochord a la Pythagoras, then <i>every</> bass you play is multistring...

11. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    If we are green we grow; if we're ripe we rot.

Translation; are we willing to be open to stretch & grow in our perceptions, as well as abilities as musicians? Or, are we stuck in the mud believing that THIS is the only way things work. If so, we would still be riding horses & using outdoor plumbing.

Many of the greatest bass players have agreed that they are musicians’ first, then bass players. Are they more valid as a musician if they play 4, 5, 6, 8 or 9 strings? What about short scale vs. long? (I'm testing a new company's 39" scale bass as we speak & it sounds great…who would have thought?)

Can you say that serious musicians only play steel, round wound, nickel or coated? Passive or active, 2 band or 3 band, single coil or humbucking?

I for one am glad that there's a variety of players, styles & equipment. Way to go Greg!

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    word.

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As long as you're creating "art" or giving others pleasure with your efforts, why all this rant in the original thread???

There are legions of bassists better than I, but I feel no shame when I look in the mirror on Monday morning and know I helped create an enjoyable experience with others over the past few nights. :confused:

No one cares which hammer the cabinet maker used, only what the cabinet looks like.

14. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    [​IMG]

:D :D :D

15. I just disregard anyone who asks about my 6 in that way.

I played a gig this past weekend with a few other bands. All the other bands' bass players had 4 strings. Most of the guys were cool, I brought my EA rig and let them hook up through it. I never made mention of the fact that these guys were playing 4 strings. A two of the bass players came up and were asking me questions about the bass, both the fact that it had six strings and the fact that it has fanned frets. It was cool, they were generally interested. A few seconds later, one of the other bass players belts out from off stage something to the effect of what would you need all those strings for, and something about the fanned frets. Rather than even responding, as I could tell by his tone he was just trying to get me going, or make himself look big, I just fired out a few lines going across all 6 strings, worked in some chords, a little wanking. He didn't say too much. Even though with my immaturity with 6 strings it probably wasn't that great.

I mean, the two first guys were great. I guess there are always guys around like the third guy, no matter what you do. So, I don't worry about it, I don't get offended, I just let their ignorance, or whatever you may call it, slide.

I guess it bothers some more than others, though I am sure that it is probably worse for Greg, with 9 strings.

I must say, to me, those 9 string Warriors are about the most impressive looking instruments that I have seen. Maybe I will get one just to put on the wall. That would be a mistake, I'm sure.

Geoff

16. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Isn't any bass with more than one string a Multistring bass?

17. Jaco only needed 4 strings.

( new forum rule, anytime anyone says "Jaco only needed 4 strings" you drink a beer. It'll be the TalkBass drinking game. )

- Dave

18. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    Good one "PC" !

That one is actually mentioned often...

As well as piano, guitar, stick, WARR, surfboard...

LOL that one is funny!

I wish people could just say what they really mean, and avoid angering us or wasting our time is all...

It would be so refreshing to hear, wow that thing is interesting ... what does it do different?

Wouldn't that be weird? ;)

I guess my frustration with people try to talk extreme is hypocritical by the nature of the instruments I choose to play!

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i run a forum that is also a safe haven for players into extended range instruments. you're soaking in it. :)

20. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    One more little point...

So often traditionalists / 4 bangers ... etc.

Are so quick with sarcasm and to point out our faults...

On occasion I post the sarcastic comment "anything less tan 5 is pointless..." and people are up in arms...

It's funny how they can't understand nor correlate the feelings as mutual...

It suck because when I do, it's kind of like well ... you hit me first...

But then they seem to say yahoo but I hit you for a reason!

(Purely an analogy...)

And I gotta say this little off topic comment... 4 strings are very cute but they eventually grow up! And rarely are the people responsible enough to take care of them! :D

OK now i'm being silly, I'll stick to the point!