Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mumia-Abdu Jamal

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ARA punk, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I'm really not crazy about posting this. I dont want it to turn into a flame war or anything. I've been hearing alot about this Mumia guy. I know he is on death row for killing a cop, he has written several books (none of which i've been able to find), and there is alot of controversy over whether or not he should be killed. All i'm asking is for someone to tell me what the controversy is over or just to point me in a direction where i could find information on this subject. No opinions or anything, just facts and evidence that has been presented please.

Mods: Please feel free to close this, as i know this prolly has some potential to get ugly.

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

I say keep it open. But anyone who turns this into something other than giving this poster info. Their post will be deleted.

3. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Mumia Abu Jamal was convicted of shooting a police officer in the face while he begged for his life. His conviction has been upheld on appeal. Why is he cause celeb? I don't have clue, I honestly don't know.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    R A T M

5. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Yeah, i've heard RATM say alot about them. But i've heard alot from others too. I mean... I figured they had to have had a reason to pick HIM to fight for. I was just wondering what it was. Is that really all there was to it? He baisically just cold bloodedly killed a cop?

6. Mumia Abu-Jamal is a cause celebre because he was a member of a somewhat controversial radical black nationalist group for whom he was a "journalist" (read: screed-writer). His continued insistence that he is a political prisoner, and therefore should not be executed (after all, in a democratic society, there shouldn't be political prisoners, right?), gives some--but IMO, not much--reason to listen to his claims.

IMO, nobody would give a damn about him if he had just been sentenced to life without parole and placed in solitary. Instead, he has been embraced by the Chomskyist left (to use Christopher Hitchens' term) as a symbol of American racism and corruption, simply because of the Philadelphia law enforcement establishment's pigheaded insistence on the death penalty.

7. Hey, SMASH, post that PM you sent me here. It might be informative.

I think my cynicism about the matter comes from the fact that I have very little tolerance for self-proclaimed "voices crying out in the wilderness." This is probably unfair because it stems from the fact that most of the rabid left-wingers I know are uselessly lazy and hedonistic people, which is probably a product of the collegiate environment more than anything else.

8. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Another main reason there is so much controversy is that there is supstantial evidence that proves his innocence, much of which has been "lost" in all the processing. There is plenty of info on the web about the case. I have read "Live from death Row" its a pretty good book, much of it is his jail experiences and conversations with the people that he has met and his defence.

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice post.

It isn't about the "cop killer" at all. It's some peoples' opposition to the death penaly.
    Mumia has had more than enough "time in court". And, every death penalty convict gets state ordered appeals, as well as the ones thier attorneys file on thier behalf. He's fighting for his life. But, he was convicted of not valuing someone else's.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I think you failed to read the second post were I asked for pertinent info not a debate or a strong personal view

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I think you failed to read the second post were I asked for pertinent info not a debate or a strong personal view

12. It's hard to find the truth about this matter. My own proclivities(sp) about the average big city police officer are well-known among my friends, but that isn't the point, and it isn't necessarily the truth either. It is certainly my belief though.

Maybe it is the Amadou Diallo, Rodney King and Abner Louima incidents still hanging in my mind..... :mad: If I was the judge in those case, you have NO IDEA what I would do.....I can get really sadistic, and this would be a golden opportunity. To bad about that "cruel and unusual punishment" thing, could we throw it out JUST THIS ONCE?

I agree in a way with Pete. He and I both know that many of the left-wingers here at Cornell are left simply because it is the "trendy" thing to do. I WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH THOSE PEOPLE. They have no real opinions for themselves, formed by nothing. It's like a 18-year old kid assuming conservatism is the only right way because his parents were far-right, without thinking any true thought of his own. Or vice versa.

My mom happens to be far left. My dad is dead center. At a young age, I was exposed to the left side, but I never truly believed in the stuff until years of looking and finding books, etc, researching about both that point of view and the opposite, and finding which one that I truly believed in and wanted to follow. I have been part of several left-wing organizations both in college and high school, and was one of two heterosexual people as a member of the "Gay and Straight Alliance", which wrought us a heck of a hard time from the useless filth known as high-school students. We were "heathens" :rolleyes: and there were several members seriously injured in beatings from students. I know, most people put up with far worse, blah blah blah....All I'm saying is that I formed my OWN opinion. And if conservatives formed their own opinion, MORE POWER TO THEM!

13. Hey pyrohr, I 110% agree with you, but BE CAREFUL........

14. I have to take exception to this statement.

The Western European countries not opposed to a US strike on Iraq are those with a recent history of violent internal uprisings and/or terrorism--Britain, Spain, and Italy. Contrast this with Germany, in particular, where the foreign minister is a former Communist street fighter who is infamous for beating up policemen, and the picture changes. As for France, well, there's a laundry list of things that undermine France's credibility on the issue.

Generally speaking, we don't like violent dissent in this country (although the hugely disproportionate political power of the South has led to our being the only nation on earth to name naval ships after defeated rebels).

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    You know Chris, it's ashame when or liberties here at home are takin away while we as a nation preach liberating others in foriegn countries What's wrong with this picture?

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's just business as usual.

Back on topic... is his guilt completely beyond a reasonable doubt? From what I understand of the case there are legitimate questions about his conviction.

My problem is that with the death penalty, unless there is irrefutable proof, the next step after finding out you've carried out a sentence and found that you've killed the wrong person is...

"oops".

That's not good enough IMO. OTOH that's a "risk" a lot of people (including here) don't seem to have a problem with taking with someone elses life. I'm not comfortable with playing God... are you?

Maybe I should start another thread;)

17. That's exactly my take on the situation. Even if he's guilty as sin, you can never be sure. I know for sure that the lives of the Philadelphia law enforcement establishment would be much easier today if they hadn't pressed for capital punishment, irrespective of Abu-Jamal's guilt.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A lot of our core values tend to fall to the wayside when we're pissed.

19. ...or rise to the top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.